OTC vs Limited Entry Mule Deer

NVDesertHunter

Hello All,

I would like to do a rifle hunt for a mature mule deer. For reference, a mature deer to me would be at least a 3.5 year old deer. Obviously would like to do the hunt as a backcountry DIY hunt. I have done multiple 3-5 day backcountry hunts for elk and blacktail but would like to hunt mule deer in the next few years.

My question is, should I apply for a few years and build up preference points in states like CO, NV, AZ or UT or is it fairly likely that an OTC mule deer tag in Idaho or Montana will give me a reasonable opportunity (anywhere from 20-40% success rate).

Budget wise I can afford something in the ball park of $600 for an OTC tag or $1500 spaced over a few years if I applied for points.

Thanks,

You can find "mature" mule deer in many OTC units in Idaho and Montana. They are where they are, but if you are going to spend 3-5 days in a backcountry unit, you will eventually find one.

I would suggest you buy the OTC tag and start hunting every year, as opposed to waiting for a tag from another state.

Good luck.

az has OTC archery deer hunts nearly state wide (minus the strip, kaibab, 3a/3c). a lot of the units are open most of august/most of december/all of january.

I have a 2nd rifle buck tag that I got with zero points in Colorado. The unit has a 60% success rate. Do your research and you'll be surprised what you find.

There are many CO tags that you can draw with 0 points, and a bunch you can even draw 2nd choice, just read the stats page...

If you know how to hunt you should have no problem finding a mature mule deer in Montana if you go for five days.

An important consideration for you is season dates. I'm not precisely sure about other states but it is likely the OTC rifle tags are not going to be during the mule deer rut.

Montana's OTC rifle deer season runs until the end of November, including the peak of the rut each year. If you come to Montana and hunt the rut for five days, I'd be highly surprised if you did not get at least one chance at a mature deer.

Jose and Watt are right on track. You couldn't ask for better advice. Paying more and more money for an opportunity to hunt won't increase your chances for success. Buy the otc tags from Idaho (my preference) or Montana and hunt units that have tradionally produced big deer. I talk to local wardens who've provided me with hot tips on where to find oversized mule deer in their areas. In Idaho focus on the southeast area south of Soda Springs or try units 50 or 51, an area with some very large mule deer. Idaho F&G has reported some very large deer in the Boise National Forest north of Boise and Idaho City. Thoroughly familiarize yourself with these units and you'll substantially increase your chances for success on large mule deer.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Idaho and Montana are looking real appealing for next year.

I wouldn't count on Montana for over the counter tags next year. Last year I bought mine in June and there were over a 1,000 available. This year there were less then 500 and they sold out the first day. Send in for te draw and your chances should be pretty good.

There are many CO tags that you can draw with 0 points, and a bunch you can even draw 2nd choice, just read the stats page...

This. Best of both worlds. Get out and hunt with decent success rates and still build up points to burn later. What I do with elk. Muleys, I just draw a rifle tag and I expect to harvest one most every year, just have to put in the leg work before and during the hunt. Once you learn how to hunt the unit you are usually golden if you can take the whole season IME.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back