Caribou Gear

Oregon Youth Deer

rmyoung1

Question for the forum, especially those with an understanding of Oregon:

Oregon allows youth the opportunity to begin purchasing preference points at age 9. Kids up to age 17 are able to buy the discounted hunting license for like $10 or something. BUT... when you look at their draw results for the better youth mule deer tags, applicants with 12 preference points are the ones getting those tags.

How can a youth hunter, who is only allowed to begin point accrual at age 9, possibly apply with 12 points? Anyone know what's going on here?

In addition to preference points for each species, youth hunters age 9-15 can register for the Mentored Youth Hunter program in Oregon. This allows them to be mentored by an adult who has a tag without completing Hunter Safety or buying their own license/tag. The incentive for participating in the program is that they get a "mentored youth point" for every year they register. The youth can then convert these points to whichever species they wish for use in the drawing. Almost always, this is what causes the numbers you are seeing.

The program is great for younger kids, and my kids were able to go on hunts with my tags every year from ages 9-11. We had a lot of good times in the woods. The preference point incentive is cool, but probably more questionable. I'm sure many parents like me sign their kids up for the preference point every year, regardless of whether they actually plan to do a mentored hunt.

Cue point creep in 3, 2, 1....

QQ

In addition to preference points for each species, youth hunters age 9-15 can register for the Mentored Youth Hunter program in Oregon. This allows them to be mentored by an adult who has a tag without completing Hunter Safety or buying their own license/tag. The incentive for participating in the program is that they get a "mentored youth point" for every year they register. The youth can then convert these points to whichever species they wish for use in the drawing. Almost always, this is what causes the numbers you are seeing.

The program is great for younger kids, and my kids were able to go on hunts with my tags every year from ages 9-11. We had a lot of good times in the woods. The preference point incentive is cool, but probably more questionable. I'm sure many parents like me sign their kids up for the preference point every year, regardless of whether they actually plan to do a mentored hunt.

Cue point creep in 3, 2, 1....

QQ
Thanks @QuazyQuinton . I appreciate the help. I didn't know about the mentored youth hunter thing. It now makes sense why those kids with the crazy high point totals are almost always residents. Becoming a mentor (buying the necessary Oregon license and tag) would make for some expensive youth points if you're a nonresident.

Last edited:
Question for the forum, especially those with an understanding of Oregon:

Oregon allows youth the opportunity to begin purchasing preference points at age 9. Kids up to age 17 are able to buy the discounted hunting license for like $10 or something. BUT... when you look at their draw results for the better youth mule deer tags, applicants with 12 preference points are the ones getting those tags.

How can a youth hunter, who is only allowed to begin point accrual at age 9, possibly apply with 12 points? Anyone know what's going on here?
Crazy that point creep has made its way into youth tags.

Back