Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Oregon Spring Bear Advice

mannmicj

I'm looking to put in for Oregon Spring Bear this coming year and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on units to put in for. I very new to Bear hunting so any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The SW Oregon tags are about as close to a guaranteed draw as you can get but I would say apply for an area close to home to give yourself the most time to scout and hunt.

The SW Oregon tags are about as close to a guaranteed draw as you can get but I would say apply for an area close to home to give yourself the most time to scout and hunt.
Thanks for the reply. That does make sense. I've only seen a hand full in the wild my entire life, although I've seen a lot of sign over the years (scattered all over the state). I just didn't know if there is an area that folks consider better odds or hunting when it comes to Oregon bear.

I agree with gouch in that whatever tag you can hunt the most is the best choice. There are plenty of bears everywhere.

Also, what is your goal? Do you just want to kill a bear or do you want a color phase? Big black one?

I agree with gouch in that whatever tag you can hunt the most is the best choice. There are plenty of bears everywhere.

Also, what is your goal? Do you just want to kill a bear or do you want a color phase? Big black one?
At this point my goal would be to have a successful hunt. Color doesn't matter and it doesn't have to break any records. Just a legal bear would work for me. In the past I have carried a fall bear tag, but I've never truly hunted them. So I thought a spring hunt would be fun to focus only on bear.

Do you have any points? That makes a difference in what you could realistically draw this year.

QQ
Unfortunately, no. This is a first for me. Looking at the numbers, SW Oregon and South Central are the most likely for me to draw with no points. Looking at the numbers from the last few seasons, the vast majority of folks that applied to those and other units had 0 points. Those folks still drew a ton of tags.

Unfortunately, no. This is a first for me. Looking at the numbers, SW Oregon and South Central are the most likely for me to draw with no points. Looking at the numbers from the last few seasons, the vast majority of folks that applied to those and other units had 0 points. Those folks still drew a ton of tags.
SW is your best bet in my opinion. Best chance at seeing multiple bears and at having success. NW corner seems to produce a lot more big bears but you won't see nearly as many and might not draw with no points.

How'd this hunt go? Did you draw? Did you get a bear? I know this is 3 years old but I came across it and I'm curious!

n e corner has more color phase bears,,with 0 pts there is no guarantee,,very little chance of any 2nd choicers anymore,make your 1st choice count,good luck

Good luck. Take it from a former WA resident, enjoy your spring bear hunt while you have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back