Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Oregon Seceding?

Idaho hates public education it has been shooting for dead last in education funding while running a state budget surplus they regularly decline to invest in federally matched education dollars out of spite and fear.

That doesn't sound good -- is the Federal government attaching too many strings with the money?

Education funding and education results are different. One study says Idaho is #29 in Education and #23 in K-12.

Same study says Oregon's #35 in Education and #37 in K-12. With the K-12 you've got us beat by 14 spots on the state list. And with less funding?

Doing more with less government money is what everyone should try to do. How many new ipads does a school need, anyway?

Edit: on this site, Idaho has Oregon beat in math, science, reading and writing. The phrase "significantly lower" and Oregon are used in the same sentence.

So long story short, no, E. Oregon won't "succeed in seceding" because we're collectively dumber than a mis-measured fence post.

Last edited:
In California/Oregon there has long been the idea of the State of Jefferson. Most recently I think it worked out for the folks who decided to capitalize on it and sell shirts, hats and of course flags.

View attachment 269631
What concept is that XX seal design supposed to project? The kiss me state? A state of illiteracy?

That doesn't sound good -- is the Federal government attaching too many strings with the money?

Education funding and education results are different. One study says Idaho is #29 in Education and #23 in K-12.

Same study says Oregon's #35 in Education and #37 in K-12. With the K-12 you've got us beat by 14 spots on the state list. And with less funding?

Doing more with less government money is what everyone should try to do. How many new ipads does a school need, anyway?

Edit: on this site, Idaho has Oregon beat in math, science, reading and writing. The phrase "significantly lower" and Oregon are used in the same sentence.

So long story short, no, E. Oregon won't "succeed in seceding" because we're collectively dumber than a mis-measured fence post.
Curious if that's public schools or all schools? Idaho politicians seem to have a pro private school mentality. They want the government out of everything! I'm of the opinion all kids need education. Without a public education many won't get an education.

keep the populace dumb so they’re easier to keep under your thumb is my general belief as to why Idaho legislators hate education so much
Don't sell your state too short, it's seems to be at around the middle of the pack, education rank wise. Someone else on here said Idaho has high taxes. Maybe they don't need Federal money to increase school funding, to jump up to the next ranking tier

keep the populace dumb so they’re easier to keep under your thumb is my general belief as to why Idaho legislators hate education so much
Or keep the populace divided and arguing, like in this thread...! Lots of opinions, and sadly we didn't solve any issues. Life's complicated.

They have been working on this for 10 years....it's moving too slow to ever happen.

It sure is interesting to see what grievances are aired and this short-sighted answer as the solution. The current congress people arguing for a “right” of states to carve out sections or secede in whole are neglecting history.
Nations do not peacefully form nor amicably split. There is always a fight both ways. This country already had a lot of fights to form, the Civil War and of course the protracted violence against the former inhabitants.
There is still generational trauma and division from those old wars.
We’re still redressing how we got here today and yet some people already want to go back to fighting.

Well actually it all started in 1852 or before.

My wife said she remembers discussing it in grade school class in Grants Pass in the early 1950's.

I wonder if anything will come of this. Idaho could get quite a bit bigger!

I wish greater Minnesota would secede from the twin cities...

Oregon is a pretty state but if I could afford to, I'd leave in a heartbeat. If we do get to, I hope Idaho will reject Bend!

Back