Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Optics recommendations vortex or ziess

I’m not a vortex fan (from experience) so I’d go Zeiss if those are the only options. Definitely considered the weight of a spotter if you are going to be packing it very far. As for the scope, you do not need 25x. If you want to save money, get a 3-9x40 or 4-12x50. Both of those are plenty of magnification. We are talking about a 500+ lb. animal here.
this. 25x is far too much magnification, even if you want to do long range hunting. I would go 16x MAX on the zoom.

After being a loyal Leupolder for decades, I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. It is clearer, sharper and brighter than the VX3 grade Leupolds I have.

So now I have a Euro weapon: Czech rifle, metric caliber, Zeiss optics; and an American rig: Savage/Stevens, 270win, Leupold glass. Odd how that worked out.

I have the Conquest 10x42s, and my dad has the Viper 10x50s. Even with the smaller objective lenses, the Conquests appear brighter. The're also quite a bit more sharp and clear. I like the Conquests a whole bunch.

I have used Leupold for many years with no complaints at all. Then my wife bought me a Ziess Conquest HD 5.
Wow no comparison. the light transmission through the Ziess is incredible. I dont think i could have spent the $ myself, but what a nice Christmas present!

Pump up the binos, and a tripod and that will save you some weight. Easier on the eye strain, and easier to spot animals, also less shaking. Spotting scopes have their advantages...but hauling one around all the time while hunting isn't fun.

I had a chance to look at a couple pairs of binos over the weekend. The Swaro SLC's and EL's and the Zeiss terra, conquest, and victory. I preferred the Conquest over the SLC and the EL over the victory.

The Zeiss Conquest HD are much better binos without a doubt. If you look around you can get them for a really good price. I really like mine.

Leupold and all the European countries have vastly superior color rendering and contrast to any of the Asian optics I’ve looked through. Japanese glass is clear and bright, and the mechanics of their scopes are usually solid and repeatable. For competitive shooting with smooth dark lines for scoring rings against a light background, and good light conditions, Vortex, Weaver, Sightron, Nightforce, and some others are just great. For hunting on the other hand, high contrast and good color rendering are almost more important than power and clarity. I would choose the Zeiss hands down.

If you are hard on stuff choose vortex but plan on using the warranty because you will.

You have listened to to much garbage by guy's that like high power scopes for whatever reason. The value of high power scopes is so over rated it's pathetic. I can hear it now, "Yea but I can see a lot better with more power". How did we live with scope's like 3-9x? They are right about seeing better I guess. With one of my 3-9x scope's set on 9x shooting target's at any distance I can see my heart beat! I lived and hunted in the west most my life. Biggest scope I ever needed when I was in Montana was a fixed 4x! Here in Oregon, I live on the east side, my favorite scope is actually a 2 3/4x fixed! Also use a 1-4x, couple 2-7x, few 3-9x. Those are hunting scope's. Have a 4 1/2-14x that I only target shoot with. Gives me a good view of my heart beat!

Spotting cope - if you don't get at least RazorHD quality glass, no reason to go over 45x power as not clear enough to make difference.

Binos - Maven C1s better than Vipers for less. At Zeiss money I would go with Maven B1s - zeiss may be ever so slightly better, but Mavens at a great price point.

Riflescope - for large game inside of 400yards no reason for more than 8x (which is why 3-9 is the standard and many good hunters go with 4x, 6x or 8x fixed). Greater than that is nice for targets, prairie dogs and long range hunting, but that is not what you seem to be asking about. I have a couple of nice scopes that go up to 18x but I turn them down to 8x when hunting. (got them for the other quality/features, and nice for load development and target practice)

My self and a few buddies have used a fair amount of Vortex gear - now slowly being replaced by Maven & Leupold. Vortex price to quality no longer great and several scope failure problems in the field have us moving on from Vortex - but still a lot of hype left in the marketplace for them. I agree with TommyBoy, a warranty doesn't do you much good with hunting gear you only get to use a few weeks a year -- a screwed up trip isn't fixed by warranty. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back