Opinions on Arizona Unit 27

upchurch_k

Planning on an OTC archery hunt in January, I've done a ton of e-scouting and have read all of the "Where to Hunt" section for this unit on the Arizona Game and Fish site just wanted to get some "real" opinions from people who have been there.

I know nothing of the unit, seems to be popular but when people post these threads I always entertain my curiosity by googling the unit and species. When you google search add the word "Forum" to the end of your search, TONS of threads about 27 for deer. Edit: still scrolling through that google search, holy crap there are so many threads from different sites and multiple threads on each of those sites, has to be some info in there of use as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ARI...rome..69i57.6656j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I’m planning to be in Unit 27 as well in January. And ya I’m still e scouting. There was the big burn a few years back my plan is to hunt that and the edges that provide cover

I am an Arizona resident and i have hunted unit 27 in january for probably 15 years in a row. I gave up and didn’t go in 2018 and 2019. WAAAAY too many people. Talked to a game warden that believed there were over 1,000 non resident hunters last january alone in the unit. What used to be a fun hunt and something a really looked forward to turned into a nightmare.

On behalf of nonresidents ruining spots....apologies. I'll find somewhere else. Or if that was reverse psychology....well done it worked!

Believe it or not, the where to hunt suggestions are actually pretty solid. Game wardens put those together, and that's the best of their knowledge for the general hunting public. Never met an Az game warden that I didn't think highly of.

Haven't ever big game hunted in Az, quail hunted several Januarys in units 35A, B and 30B - scattered archers and deer, lite pressure, lots of country.

Last edited:
You might consider units 6A, 8, 9, 10. I'm unsure of the exact OTC rules in each but they have good numbers of deer. That being said it's going to be a challenge to punch your tag.

You must get super familiar with a unit to have success here in Arizona consistently. The deer bunch up in certain areas. Find those few spots whithin each unit and you will be well on your way to success.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back