Opinions on 10mm in Grizzly country?

Thank you for making your limitations what everyone else’s standard should be...

this statement you made would mean you are uncomfortable with firearms used in any defensive situation....the majority of those situations would be in “personal space”.

the use of a weapon or tool to defend ones self from an attacker or bear are likely to be similar situations/distances....just different environments.
Oh I see, YOUR opinion is valid, MINE is not.

don’t assume what I’m saying.

Oh I see, YOUR opinion is valid, MINE is not.

don’t assume what I’m saying.
In both reply’s I went with exactly what you said.....

In short you said defending yourself with a firearm is unsafe due to butt pucker factor.....and close proximity of the threat.

you also made a blanket statement that LE and military have training and still make mistakes. I also helped clear that mud up.

Its important to share good quality and factual info when people ask for help/opinions. Rubbish doesn’t help anyone.

^^^This

The 10mm for grizzly is a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is chosen because it is a big semi-auto for people who want to carry a semi-auto, not because its a good choice. Objectively, it is substantially less powerful than a .44 magnum.

I have no experience with grizzlies, but a bit with black bears. I consider the .44 magnum the absolute minimum for grizzlies. Wouldn't even consider 10mm.
@CubSlayer Ok thanks. You answered my question as good and as plainly as anyone has. I’ll go bigger than 10mm for griz country.

This thread seems to be headed for becoming a peeing contest so I’m out. Peace ✌️

I read an article recently that discussed bear spray. It stated that statistically comparing the use of spray with firearms, it did not specify any particular firearm, bear spray is the safer option. That said it also stated that like firearms practice spray products from your spray manufacturer of choice should be used to practice so you can effectively deploy the real thing when needed.

I don't think the argument here should be what round is the better but rather firearms vs spray. On the firearms side if that is what you choose to carry for bear defense you need to choose what you are comfortable with shooting and have practiced extensively with, whether it is a 22, 38, 357, 9mm, 44, 10mm, 454, 460 or a 500.

In both reply’s I went with exactly what you said.....

In short you said defending yourself with a firearm is unsafe due to butt pucker factor.....and close proximity of the threat.

you also made a blanket statement that LE and military have training and still make mistakes. I also helped clear that mud up.

Its important to share good quality and factual info when people ask for help/opinions. Rubbish doesn’t help anyone.
Here again, you keep putting words in my mouth. Even thought you say you’re not.

Yet another redumdant grizz country gunslinger thread ... will there ever be empiracal proof of the right answer?
Go down to Texas and buy a high fence bear hunt and use a different caliber on each one and report back the results. Or you could talk to the deputies who worked in the same county as the tiger king lol. All joking aside I would just go to Alaska Game and Fish and follow their recommendations.

And they are thinking about tasers

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=450

I carry what I’ve carried for the past 30+ years. I know this weapon like I know my hand. It is an extension of my hand.
My 1911 in 45 acp may not be as glamorous as all the other guns mentioned, but I know I can hit what I need to.
Let the ridiculing start!

I carry what I’ve carried for the past 30+ years. I know this weapon like I know my hand. It is an extension of my hand.
My 1911 in 45 acp may not be as glamorous as all the other guns mentioned, but I know I can hit what I need to.
Yep. Hence my response about my beloved Ruger. In the hand, fast. Can I shoot it at a bear and kill it? I pray I don't have to find out. mtmuley

Yep. Hence my response about my beloved Ruger. In the hand, fast. Can I shoot it at a bear and kill it? I pray I don't have to find out. mtmuley
And that’s exactly why I carry the Glock. My old favorite Ruger .357 still feels good in my hands too.

I want the guys at the bar to talk about how S&R pried an empty 44 mag out of my hands after finding my body. Much cooler than 10mm. Might wash away the stigma of dying with filled britches.
Wouldn’t it be far sexier to be found with a slide locked back and a dozen empty cases littering the ground?
I mean, the outcome is the same. Id rather be found in a pile of empty brass. 😂

My first gun of any type is my .44 magnum revolver which I scoped about two years later. I've been using it for 32 years, and have a high level of proficiency, so it would certainly be my choice.

I won't ridicule, but I think that .45 ACP, even in the hottest configurations, is terribly underpowered for this application. I wouldn't even like it for black bear, where my personal minimum is .357 magnum. I don't want to get into it, but I'm also of the opinion that autoloading guns are a poor choice for animal defense.

These discussions always extract irrational responses and too much butt hurt. They also invariably bring out the "But someone shot a T-Rex with a .22LR, so anything will work" answers. It is important to remember that this is all a sliding scale, with no solution being 0% or 100% effective. My own risk tolerance places .44 magnum as my grizzly minimum. This would change with updated data.

Regarding bear spray, take those "studies" with a grain of salt. They are typically activist studies, designed to ensure a specific conclusion.

My thought is that youll be lucky to get 1 shot off at all, so better make it count. If grizz are a concern id go .44mag or better. That being said, like 99.9% of the people giving their opinions on threads like these, ive never shot a grizz so my opinion is pretty much worthless. I have however killed a black bear with my sidearm point blank when i woke from a nap to one sneaking up on me, so thats something i guess.
Seriously? More details please...sounds like a good story we should all hear about

I bought a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull and a chest rig with plans for it to be my bear country gun. It was an amazing gun, fun to shoot and amazingly powerful. My issue was that it was heavy and bulky. I have a Glock 20 in 10mm that I find easier to carry. But, I also built a semi-auto short barreled shogun specifically for bear slugs. Any hunt my brother and I go on where bears are a potential problem, one can carry the SBS, and the other the hunting rifle. The SBS weighs very little, and holds 5 Brennekke magnum slugs. In a stressful situation, I’ll take a shoulder fired weapon every time.

I used to carry a .44 Mag for bear defense, but this year, I transitioned to Glock 40 MOD 10MM with a 6" barrel.

Glock 40 MOD 10MM 2 of 6.jpg

So far, I am really liking it.

Ed

I see your new toy came with one of those little loaders. I use the commercial version, and always wondered whether the included magazine loaders were any good. Have you tried it?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back