Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Opening day limit!

maconbacon

Went out to a spot yesterday AM in west central MO I’ve had good success on all season long, including early season even when it’s warm.

Despite the thermometer saying temps in the 60s and an unfavorable for where I had to set up wind, the teal put on a show. There were gadwall, ring necks, and even a few mallards around which we typically don’t get in numbers until December. Only geese were a couple of flocks of high specks, not in season until next week anyways. I actually shot very well despite not picking up my shotgun since turkey season. We were done in an hour despite missing out on several flocks that veered wide due to the wind and some real birds loafing on the other end of the pond. The pup did great too, his worthless trainer (me) only got him out training a handful of times in the off season. He broke on the first flock which I expect on hunt one. After that, he was rock solid. Finished the hunt up on two drake green wings in one shot.

Great way to start the season! The rest of the season will certainly be colder and limits won’t be had every hunt, but we can’t wait! Bring on the geese!

Attachments

• C55C5E38-21AC-4DBE-8403-B7BBE996E883.jpeg
    C55C5E38-21AC-4DBE-8403-B7BBE996E883.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • CDDEE5F1-D7A5-46CD-B196-0D1C0825EF49.jpeg
    CDDEE5F1-D7A5-46CD-B196-0D1C0825EF49.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
Looks like a great hunt. Boykins are the best.
Thanks! He is actually a field bred English cocker. He can fetch all waterfowl, including giant Canada geese, and is an excellent natural flusher of upland game. There will always be one (or two!) in my house

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back