Yeti GOBOX Collection

Opening day California Rifle season

When I lived in A zone opening day was always a big priority. I would usually take Friday off and head to the hunting area. It was always crowded but we really looked forward to getting out there. It took me a few years to learn the best way to hunt the opener and once I did I was successful more times than not. We learned where the deer would head to from all of the pressure and could usually ambush a buck or two before they got into the heaviest brush around.

Good luck and if you know where some bucks hang out you might try to get to an ambush location and see if you can get a shot. The best ambush locations are not always on top of a ridge. It might be half way down a hillside where the deer are heading to cover and they may not cross over a saddle.

Was planning on being there for the opener - Changing my trip to mid Sept and hunting the last week.

I was planning on going this weekend, but we are going to Wyoming to hunt antelope next weekend. I have too much to get ready for that trip to leave town this weekend. California deer hunting has lost a lot of its appeal to me in the last decade especially. What is the average buck to Doe ratio in CA now? 1:15 to 1:20. That is not sustainable. Every year during hunting season I see more and more does without fawns. Last year in D-3 I saw about 15 does. Only 3 fawns. Pretty disappointing. Hopefully this state does something about it soon.

I was planning on going this weekend, but we are going to Wyoming to hunt antelope next weekend. I have too much to get ready for that trip to leave town this weekend. California deer hunting has lost a lot of its appeal to me in the last decade especially. What is the average buck to Doe ratio in CA now? 1:15 to 1:20. That is not sustainable. Every year during hunting season I see more and more does without fawns. Last year in D-3 I saw about 15 does. Only 3 fawns. Pretty disappointing. Hopefully this state does something about it soon.
The few guys I know that are regularly successful are on private land that they lease. Lots of quality bucks can still be had for people who have access to places like that.

The few guys I know that are regularly successful are on private land that they lease. Lots of quality bucks can still be had for people who have access to places like that.
I had access to 2 ranches & back ways into spots. Some nice Blacktails.Some brutal heat & PO.

I’ll be headed out Friday for the annual opening weekend with my good buddies and brother! Have seen quite a few bucks this year so hopefully there will be some success. As always there will be plenty of food and drinks also!

Good luck to you guys. Be sure to post the results here when you can. Hopefully we will get to see pics of some nice bucks!

Yep I'll be heading out, can't miss the opener! seems to me to that you have a fairly good chance at locating a buck before more pressure gets put on through out the duration of the season. Always hit it hard the last week as well. should be fairly cool temps up here in A zone north so that should help the odds.

been noticing the same thing....not good. we can't do anything about the lions but everyone needs to step up and do their part and hunt bears

My update on my A zone hunt.... Didn't see a thing on opening weekend. Didn't make it out again til today. Climbed from 2000' to 3500' in the dark and glassed all morning no luck. Saw a few pig tracks on my way down and one small doe. Thought you guys might like to see some of the terrain out here in California. The season closes next weekend for A zone, I might try one more area closer to the coast.

IMG_20190915_080220874_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190915_092038904_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190915_090627299_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190915_105200261.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back