Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ONX Maps - Wyoming

Robinhood21

Hey guys,

Probably a dumb question but I just purchased the app for Wyoming. Really cool! Anyways, I'm not seeing in the layering system where there's any distinction of county roads and non-county roads. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

No where can you find accurate county road depictions except from the Road and Bridge Dept in each county. Some counties will have a map but best to call the superintendent for R&B to make sure. Look at all the maps you can find online for the county and compare them all, then call or email the superintendent about a specific road and you'll get an answer. They are responsible for maintenance of public roads in each county. GW and/or sheriff may also be able to answer if a road is public or not.
Some roads look like public but are in fact ranch roads or oil roads etc..

OnX can and does have mistakes, but for the most part does a good job.

The above is correct. I needed Natrona and Carbon county roads and was able to download their road layer to google earth and then upload it to my gps. Onx showed roads that the country didn't acknowledge on their maps so im going with the county maps to be safe. Lots of youtube videos on how to do this. If you cannot find a county road layer for google earth, you can also look at the county's online maps and then make your own paths in google earth of the county roads. More work this way but doable.

There is no way to tell the status (public or private) of a road (other than major highways) from looking at OnX maps.

Last hunting season (2017) there were something like 23 roads or pieces of roads in the Black Hills area of northeast Wyoming that were on the OnX maps that did not even exist.

There are roads that are not maintained by a county road and bridge department that are open to public access and there are roads that may be named and even have a sign up that are private.

There are a set of BLM maps in the Buffalo (WY) BLM office and usually a similar set at the visitors center in Gillette that have the publicly accessible roads highlighted on them. Hunters that are unsure about the status of roads in those areas would be wise to stop by and view those maps and mark on their maps which roads are, in fact, public. I know this requires the purchase of paper BLM maps and may reduce the usefulness of electronic maps but, it is the best way at his time to really know what roads can be traveled while hunting.

ClearCreek

Roads are tough...Wy and most places. Best to cross reference whenever possible and be ready for surprises

I spent sometime yesterday looking at the interactive maps on the Wyoming Game and Fish website. They have layers for county roads listed there. Given those, went to my OnX maps and highlighted those county roads that were of interest to the areas I want to hunt. This might be an easier option for some people.

I spent sometime yesterday looking at the interactive maps on the Wyoming Game and Fish website. They have layers for county roads listed there. Given those, went to my OnX maps and highlighted those county roads that were of interest to the areas I want to hunt. This might be an easier option for some people.

I did a little poking around and could not find county road layers on WY F&G, can you send a link? Thanks!

This is the link to the interactive maps for nonresident deer. I'm sure this same thing will work with other game animals.

Anyway, the coverage is not a link per se. It's a button you have to find in a menu.

So, for example, go here:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Deer-Hunting/Deer-Nonresident-Map

Then in the upper right corner of the map, on the blue bar, is a set of buttons for pull down menus

If you hover over the first one "i", you will see it says disclaimers. The second one is "Legend" and the third is "Layers, the fourth "Base maps", the ffith "More".

Click on "Layers". Scroll down and you will find County Maps. If you click on the box next to it, you can turn it on and off. The "..." will let you do several more thing, including moving it up to a higher level (where it will display on top of other things, like Unit boundaries for example.

There is a heck of a lot utility in the Wyoming interactive maps. They are almost as amazing as the OnX system. You can draw, measure, and print from that "More" tab for instance or change your base map to any one of a whole bunch of options.

Sweet, thanks Man!

Back