Caribou Gear

Old School Orientation Skills

BackofBeyond

I learned how to use a map and compass way back in the Scouts, and it was something I actually got quite good at, but since the advent of GPS/OnX/Garmin etc it's a skill that has degraded over time. At this point, I'd have a hard time getting from point A to point B in new country with just an old school map and compass.

Time to get back to basics for me. My hunting partner and myself our looking to scout out some new areas this summer, so my plan is to turn off my OnX for the summer. Next step, after making this decision, was to dig out my compass, which has to be close to 30 years old now. Let's just say it's suspect. Anybody have any recommendations for a compass that's serviceable, something good, but I'm definitely not at the level where I'll be needing a sighting window etc, I'm not calling in airstrikes. Just need a quality compass mounted on plexiglass.

Also, any recommendations for books on orienteering?

Thanks y'all.

I still use my issued camenga, but Silva is good.

I learned how to use a map and compass way back in the Scouts, and it was something I actually got quite good at, but since the advent of GPS/OnX/Garmin etc it's a skill that has degraded over time. At this point, I'd have a hard time getting from point A to point B in new country with just an old school map and compass.

Time to get back to basics for me. My hunting partner and myself our looking to scout out some new areas this summer, so my plan is to turn off my OnX for the summer. Next step, after making this decision, was to dig out my compass, which has to be close to 30 years old now. Let's just say it's suspect. Anybody have any recommendations for a compass that's serviceable, something good, but I'm definitely not at the level where I'll be needing a sighting window etc, I'm not calling in airstrikes. Just need a quality compass mounted on plexiglass.

Also, any recommendations for books on orienteering?

Thanks y'all.

I have the second edition from when I went to school. The content should cover what you are looking for just in the second edition its self. They may even be cheaper if you can find them.

The author was a Yooper that hunted and grew up in Gwinn Michigan with a person that I used to hunt with years ago.

Last edited:
Make sure you have an updated magnetic declination for the area. The Mag pole is moving quite a bit further to the SE lately

Here's a freebie of the old Army manual...
FM 21-26 Map Reading and Land Navigation 1993

Sometimes I kinda of miss the old days before everybody and his dog had a GPS. When folks actually had to read a map to find them I used to have a lot of isolated state sections all to myself when I hunted them. OTOH, GPS is pretty much essential when you want to call for fire in a desert where your map is just one big blank sheet of paper with a single contour line running through the middle.

I'll add another plug for Silva compass, not cheap but will last a long time.

I've used them for over 30 years at work and have had 2 over that timeframe. Compass still functioned but had taken a beating for 20 years, chipped up, beat up, and just needed to be replaced.

Cant recommend any books, I learned orienteering from other employees, trial and error, and learning the hard way. Knowing how to read maps is an art that is dying out sadly, at least in my job. GPS's are great, but getting from point A to point B isn't always best accomplished via straight lines on a GPS screen.

A perfect combination is to have the map reading, orienteering skills first, then compliment with a GPS...IMO.

I'll add another plug for Silva compass, not cheap but will last a long time.

I've used them for over 30 years at work and have had 2 over that timeframe. Compass still functioned but had taken a beating for 20 years, chipped up, beat up, and just needed to be replaced.

Cant recommend any books, I learned orienteering from other employees, trial and error, and learning the hard way. Knowing how to read maps is an art that is dying out sadly, at least in my job. GPS's are great, but getting from point A to point B isn't always best accomplished via straight lines on a GPS screen.

A perfect combination is to have the map reading, orienteering skills first, then compliment with a GPS...IMO.
Buzz, the statement of the perfect combination with map reading/orienteering skills first, then complimenting with GPS is spot on.

When I have more time I will tell a story of how this reasoning works and how it has been adapted by the MDNR and Michigan State University. Who knows it may now be used as a common practice for the application that I was called in to help with. A mortality recovery of a collared moose.

I have a ton of miles in the mountains following a Silva Ranger compass around and staying located on a 7.5' Quad map.
It is an essential skill for any outdoorsman.

Based on buying quite a few of both brands the last few years, I don't think the newest Silvas are the same quality as the older ones. If buying new today, Suunto seems to be higher quality for basically the same design.

One of the best skills I've learned in the Army is map and compass. I still get lost a ton but the Army also taught me to walk for stupid distances with heavy things on my back so I'm normally fine and make it back eventually.

Back