Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Old powder cans

millerkiller77

Any of you actually collect and display old powder cans? I've got two left I'd like to get rid of if they fit your reloading room "decor".
The 540 is full, 4350 about 1/2 full, I will empty them if that's your preference.
540 is in awesome condition, 4350 can is dented in the back.
Both have the tags from Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, ND.
I'm not asking anything for them other than you cover shipping costs which should be under $20 for both of them.
Just looking for a good home.20221229_174042.jpg20221229_174051.jpg20221229_174057.jpg20221229_174105.jpg

My grandpa has several cardboard tubs that say Hercules on them. I really want to pull them out to see if they have stickers...as little as I saw him shoot smokeless powder they're probably full

I would actually love the 540 can. I have some 4350 cans.

Just fyi, you don't want to be shipping powder without a Hazmat license.

I'm no hall monitor, but since this is public...

I would LOVE that I4350 can. Would go great on my shelf of nostalgia. And it would definitely have to be emptied to ship

Not to totally high jack but it's on subject and I think his are spoken for. Are old powder cans worth anything? I have like 6 of these square cans kicking around.

20230103_211045.jpg

$2.65 was the sale price... wow.

20230103_211048.jpg

Got a few of these too20230103_211107.jpg

Not to totally high jack but it's on subject and I think his are spoken for. Are old powder cans worth anything? I have like 6 of these square cans kicking around.

View attachment 259064

$2.65 was the sale price... wow.

View attachment 259065

Got a few of these tooView attachment 259066
They aren’t worth anything that I know of, but I’ve always kinda thought they were cool, and hoped that no one else did until I had all that I wanted. Lol. I’ve never bought an empty tin, but I have bought a pound of powder that I didn’t actually have a use for because it was in a tin that I didn’t have.

I have some square cans, but I’m not sure if any are Green Dot. I also have some 4320, but the tins are different from those. Kinda cool.

They aren’t worth anything that I know of, but I’ve always kinda thought they were cool, and hoped that no one else did until I had all that I wanted. Lol. I’ve never bought an empty tin, but I have bought a pound of powder that I didn’t actually have a use for because it was in a tin that I didn’t have.

I have some square cans, but I’m not sure if any are Green Dot. I also have some 4320, but the tins are different from those. Kinda cool.
I’m kinda the same. To me it’s about the nostalgia, not the collection. I enjoy the different eras of the older cans, but I have no desire to pay for them.

When I was in high school, I loaded 12 ga. duck loads using 540 powder in my Mec 600 Jr. I kept a bunch of us stocked up with those loads.

Went to a garage sale this past summer to look at a chainsaw, ended up coming home with an unopened can of Hercules Reloader 22 powder. My 7mm likes the current Alliant reloader 22 so am hopeful the old Hercules and newer RL-22 are close to the same. Will find out at some point.

Attachments

• 20220813_083749.jpg
    20220813_083749.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 11
Went to a garage sale this past summer to look at a chainsaw, ended up coming home with an unopened can of Hercules Reloader 22 powder. My 7mm likes the current Alliant reloader 22 so am hopeful the old Hercules and newer RL-22 are close to the same. Will find out at some point.
That’s pretty cool. My question on that one is: how does an unopened 5# jug contain 6# of powder? Or am I misreading the tag?

That’s pretty cool. My question on that one is: how does an unopened 5# jug contain 6# of powder? Or am I misreading the tag?
You didn't miss read it and knowing the internet for what it is, i knew someone would call that out as soon as i decided to post a picture, lol. That tag was hand written by the wife who was running the garage sale, when she marked it to sell on the behalf of her husband. There was also some other reloading stuff there. I questioned it myself when I bought it but looked the spout over very carefully and it was in fact sealed. I just chalked it up as a mistake the lady made when she marked it for sale. There was a partial can of the same stuff right next to it that had been opened.

Last edited:
I have a couple old square tins of unique and 2400. I just finished up using 2 4350 and a 4831 imr tins with $9.95 sticker still on them.

That old stuff is super cool in a reloading room or hunting room. I have an old Hornady manual as well, along with a Pennsylvania deer tag from 1966.

Just stumbled onto this post. These cans bring back memories as I worked at Sioux Sporting Goods for a handful of years in the early 90s. It was a wonderful store and a great place to work. We used to have kegs of powder stored downstairs and if you wanted you could bring in your 1 pound can and we'd fill it for you at bulk pricing. Wish they were still in business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back