Caribou Gear

Okuma reels?

T Bone

Looking for a new spinning reel for steelhead and salmon. Any of you fisher wussies have any experience with Okuma reels?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

T Bone

T-bone... I have never tried one, I Hear on some board they were decent reels though...
Delw

Thanks Delw,

I think I'll try one. It appears they offer some decent quality reels for a good price.

I've had two Slade Shimano 4000 and the salmon really fry the drag systems in them. One of Okuma's main advertising points is their drag system.

Hopefully my Shimano will last through one more trip. Its the tail end of the fall run and the rumors are that the last rain storm moved some big fresh fish in. Going on Tuesday.

The shimano drags are usually pretty good,(bait casters anyway).. I never really used a spin reel for steely's and salmon its was either a fly rod or a baitcaster(ambassador 5500c)..
Amberjack would know more about the drag systems on reels.....

Delw

T BONE

How much are you looking to spend? BPS has a Shimano Stradix on sale for $99 now and you get a free IM8 rod. Also I have read some negative things about Okuma reels on another board. For the price, Daiwa Regal Z reels($45 @BPS) are supposed to be very good.Smooth with a good drag. You might also look into upgrading with SmoothDrag washers.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/index.html

Steve

Thanks for feedback. I'm looking to keep under $75. The salmon run is mostly over for this year, so I have time on my side.

Back