OK got my Bow

Kraven

Just wanting to know if this bow is a good one or not.The price was right at $50.00 so I couldnt pass it up plus it was a left handed bow.
The Bow is a Darton,Viper model.The bow is adjustable between 60-70 lbs.The draw length is between 26-29 inches with 65% let off.It has an overdraw whatever that is,I think it means I can shoot longer arrows :confused: .I think I am going to take it to the local shop to have the weight taken down to 60 lbs,I sure hope it is not there already.Plus I need to get some wax for the string and maybe some new pins for the site.Ohh yes I need arrows ;) :D
Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

You got a great deal Kraven. The Viper is a solid bow. I've been a Darton owner for over 15 years. They are quality.

The overdraw allows you to shoot shorter arrows, making the arrow lighter and faster. How tall are you? Typically guys between 5'9"-5'11" draw at 28". 5'11"-6'1" draw at 29" and so on. Don't worry about maxing the bow out on draw weight. Shoot what you can do comfortably. 60lb is plenty for anything in NorthAmerica. Like all hunting, shot placement is everything.

Assuming your arrow length will be around 26" you will be able to shoot 2213 size arrows (if you shoot aluminum). Choose a good 100 grain or 125 grain broadhead and you will be shooting around 235-245 fps. (good controllable speed).

Make sure the arrow is leaving the bow straight (watch for fish-tailing or porpoising). If you have erradic arrow flight, take to someone who knows what they are doing. Tuning a bow as a beginner can be frustrating.

When you adjust the new sight, remember to "follow the arrow" with the sight adjustment.

Practice everyday if possible and shoot rounds of 4-6 arrows. This will allow your body to rest between rounds. Practice on form and follow through...Ask if you have questions.

T Bone

Thanks Elkhunter for the congrats.
We had to take the kids school clothes shopping on Sunday so I couldnt take the bow to the shop like I wanted to do.Hopefully this weekend sometime maybe on Saturday morning then look for bear afterwards.My shoulder is still pretty sore from shooting it and pulling it back so Im going to need to exercise the shoulder a bit I can see.I am going to look at both aluminum and carbon arrows not sure which yet.Thanks for the tips T Bone.

Hope you find the bear you want. Have fun anyway

Hell any bear will do for me just fine aslong as it is not a cub :D Considering I havent shot one yet.I am not going to be too picky let me just say that ;) I just hope that the gate is open this time I certainly dont want to make that hike again.

Congrats on getting the new bow Kraven. Once ya get that puppy dialed in you will want to shoot it as much as you can!! Have fun with it and good luck!!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back