Caribou Gear Tarp

Odfw's proposed changes for 2021

Hey folks,
Anybody paying attention to the changes oregon is trying to implement next year?

From my understanding, the biggest change would be making the eastern half of the state a draw only for archary. I can't imagine how much pressure this is going to put on the Rosie's over west.

Looks like odfw is going to have an open/public zoom meeting (in the middle of bow season of course) on the topic, 9/11 I think. I'll be hunting Colorado at the time but I'll be dammed if I miss my chance to speak my opinion.

Anyone else with more info on the changes, or opinions either way you feel??

Thanks HT!

I think it will cause a lot of shakeup and consternation all around and may take a few years to settle out. In the end, though, if people want substantial change in management in Oregon, it probably has to happen. The bigger question is whether it will actually be used (i.e. timely tag cuts) to address the pertinent issues.

QQ

I still haven't had the time to watch the commission meeting. I've expected more of the eastern zones going to draw though. With the increase of popularity in archery it seems all I've heard the last 2 years is how crowded things have gotten over there.

While I love the freedom of hunting anywhere around the state I'm not opposed to changing it. It will probably be better for the resource.

It's been thrashed from one end to the other over on Ifish, with seemingly half the posters arguing that it will ruin archery elk hunting and the other half arguing that elk hunting will be ruined if they don't.

My main takeaway from the discussion was that wildlife management apparently isn't "so easy a caveman can do it," when the cavemen are fighting with each other over how to do it. :unsure:

QQ

I think it will cause a lot of shakeup and consternation all around and may take a few years to settle out. In the end, though, if people want substantial change in management in Oregon, it probably has to happen. The bigger question is whether it will actually be used (i.e. timely tag cuts) to address the pertinent issues.

QQ
That's a good point. I'm curious to see how many tags they will give out for some of the better general units, they might turn into a 5 or 6 year tag.

But on the other hand, it should really help push people through the system a little faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back