MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NV Deer 111 Tag Drawn

Birddog916

Hey Hunttalk,
I beat the odds again this year and drew a NV muzzleloader deer tag units 111-113, last year I was lucky and drew a archery elk tag in AZ. You can read all about that AZ hunt here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/az-archery-elk-hunt-report-2020.301900/#post-3076199
My brother and I put in with only 2 points and somehow got the only 2 tags available. It was our 4th choice overall. The hunt is Sept. 10-Oct. 4 and I can't wait to get into the area. I've never hunted NV before, so it will be an adventure for sure. I understand unit 111 is a great elk unit, but what about deer?

Right now I'm planning on doing day hunts of between 3-5 miles and driving from a central camp each day, but might do it back country with camp on our backs. There are pros and cons for each, but thinking we'd be more mobile if we did day hunts and that might be our best bet. The first week of the season will overlap with archery elk season. Do you think I would cross paths with a lot of archery elk hunters during then? Better to wait until after the archery guys leave or best to hit it opening day? There are only 12 muzzleloader tags during this hunt 10 for residents and 2 for nonresidents.

I'm going to plan a scouting trip soon. Anyone know if there is good fly fishing in the area?

If anyone also has a tag for this unit this season or has hunted it in the past? please reach out. I'm happy to compare notes and am open to advice from others. PM me if you like.

Happy Hunting,
Birddog916

My suggestion would be to either hug the east side of 111, or while staying mobile, hunt the northeast part of 112. Deer (and elk) travel to the alfalfa fields at night, returning before daylight.

I spent a lot of time in 113 a few years ago. Didn't see as many deer as I expected to but it's remote enough that there should be some nice ones hiding in there.

Landowner tags are sold by the bushel so expect to see more than 12 hunters packing muzzleloaders.

Just my .02.

My suggestion would be to either hug the east side of 111, or while staying mobile, hunt the northeast part of 112. Deer (and elk) travel to the alfalfa fields at night, returning before daylight.

I spent a lot of time in 113 a few years ago. Didn't see as many deer as I expected to but it's remote enough that there should be some nice ones hiding in there.

Landowner tags are sold by the bushel so expect to see more than 12 hunters packing muzzleloaders.

Just my .02.
Thanks Wallydeuce. I totally forgot about landowner tags.

One other thing Birddog916. Re: fly fishing. The creeks in that area are very small and thick with brush. Cleave and Schnell creeks have some decent trout but rattlesnakes are plentiful too. Be careful.
Cummins reservoir and Cave Lake, both just south of Ely have good fly fishing. Enjoy your stay and good hunting!

One other thing Birddog916. Re: fly fishing. The creeks in that area are very small and thick with brush. Cleave and Schnell creeks have some decent trout but rattlesnakes are plentiful too. Be careful.
Cummins reservoir and Cave Lake, both just south of Ely have good fly fishing. Enjoy your stay and good hunting!
Cave lake has been drained for the most part too repair the dam.
I scouted 111 for 2 days and saw 1 doe with a fawn.

A blind man could find deer in 111 :rolleyes:
The Success Loop is where we take people to see deer when their kids have never seen a deer in person.
Just reporting what I saw,and that was in the Success Loop are,I dont fudge crap like some hunters have a habit of doing.

Since this is my first NV hunt I'm going to hunt it hard. My goal is to bring home a 4 point or better buck with the ol' muzzleloader and get away from the grind for a few days. I hope to find deer in the back country at 3-5 miles from the truck and spend most of the hunt above 7000 feet. My brother and I are planning on going in light finding a good spot to camp near water. I realize this might be difficult with the current drought situation.

Over the weekend a few buddies and I did the Whisky Shoot 3D at Homewood ski Resort it was a blast and a work out. 5.5 miles with quite a bit of up made for a nice hike. It felt good to be in the mountains and was a good tune up for the Schells scouting I'll be doing in the coming weeks.

@Birddog916 hows the scouting going. Have they been getting the summer monsoons down that way
Been pretty good. I was over there about a week ago. We found a lot of does and a ton of elk. I didn't see any bucks, but they have to be close by somewhere. I'm planning on hunting high for the first few days then coming down lower. I saw does from the bottom up to about 8000 feet. The monsoon was going pretty good the Friday we arrived lots of lightning and the dirt roads got pretty sloppy. Here's a few pics of my trip:
IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back