Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Not the Turkey opening day I had imagined.

44hunter45

I hunted my 40 acres this morning. We have had them gobbling for a while. I got out 30 before legal light and headed to where they have been roosting. When I got close, I blew on my owl hoot cal and got a shock gobble. I stopped shot to get my face mask and gloves on before getting to my set up. I blew the hooter once more and he thundered off from his roost tree. That's when it all went sideways. My infamous neighbor kid started yelping from his set up just on the other side of my fence. RIGHT against my fence. This is the same neighbor kid eho never says thank you for all the 1 1/2 year old bucks I seem to be raising for him ambush on his side of the fence.

They rent. I met them when they were on my property two years ago tracking a 140 class buck they had wounded. I gave up my plans and tracked with them all morning. We never found him, despite them saying often he was, "hit hard". They are not the poster children for the modern ethical sportsman.

I digress. Back to this morning. I decided that I did not want to get blasted by the neighbor kid shooting over the fence. I had heard another gobbler northwest of there, hopefully still on my place. Away from the fence. As I was closing in to get set up, I heard a boom. I came over the rise to find another of my neighbors chasing a flopping bird on his side of the fence.

I gave up in disgust and headed back toward the house to get a coffee and regroup. As I was jumping the spring swollen creek on the way back to the house, my BPS slipped off my shoulder and went in. I was in the creek up to the shrivel point feeling around for my BPS until I found it. I spent the rest of the morning doing a gunsmith level disassembly and clean.

Everyone knows owning your own private hunting ground is the bomb, right? The truth is you end up like a dog with two bones. You spend far too much time QDMAing bucks for the neighbors kid to shoot and avoiding getting shot yourself.

Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ll look back at this some day and laugh, but I bet you were only one small event away from a meltdown. Thanks for the story, hopefully you get your bird!

Well now I don’t feel so bad about getting busted by a silent stealth Tom on public this morning. Thx, for sharing. We all have those days from time to time!

Silver linings.......

You didn't get shot
Your gun is gunsmith clean and good to go
You get to keep hunting turkeys!!

Silver linings.......

You didn't get shot
Your gun is gunsmith clean and good to go
You get to keep hunting turkeys!!

Yup. Once I got it apart I realized the action really needed a good a going through. I bought it used, so I didn't know it was actually capable of being as smooth as silk. Silver lining, indeed!

Last edited:
I feel your pain on the 40 acres I have to hunt it is excellent turkey habitat and they roost there quite often. I am so used to the fence sitters on all sides of the property that I usually wait until the later part of the season when others have given up to start hunting as I have twice been showered with pellets before even legal hunting light . I also hunt with a bow which makes it hard to return fire !!!!

I feel for You , but 40 acres aint squat . Go in the big Country and get away From these Goobers. Just My opinion from a guy that hunts all National Forrest in AZ. and New Mexico. Good Luck. ......................BOB!

I feel for You , but 40 acres aint squat . Go in the big Country and get away From these Goobers. Just My opinion from a guy that hunts all National Forrest in AZ. and New Mexico. Good Luck. ......................BOB!

Ouch. Tough to learn my life's work, "aint squat". I guess I should have bought a fairway house in Sun City or a single wide in Apache Junction.

44hunter, wasn't knocking your work of the land if You work it for a living ,but for hunting that is small , with private all around You. Good luck ,hope You can harvest him!

Ouch. Tough to learn my life's work, "aint squat". I guess I should have bought a fairway house in Sun City or a single wide in Apache Junction.

I have 40 acres myself. I like to think what Bob was trying to say is that to a turkey 40 acres is a very small portion of their home range. Deer to for that matter.

I lease 120 acres from my dad. Mainly because I have hunted it my whole life but also it is very handy to be able to drive out and hunt it if I only have a morning or evening to hunt. Plus I get good cell service which let’s me hunt it and monitor my crew at work simultaneously. It is a 40 separated by the other 80 by a quarter mile. One of my neighbors is all about QDMA. The big hunting club that borders us on 3 sides only has a no spikes rule in place so I feel your pain.

I hunted my 40 acres this morning. We have had them gobbling for a while. I got out 30 before legal light and headed to where they have been roosting. When I got close, I blew on my owl hoot cal and got a shock gobble. I stopped shot to get my face mask and gloves on before getting to my set up. I blew the hooter once more and he thundered off from his roost tree. That's when it all went sideways. My infamous neighbor kid started yelping from his set up just on the other side of my fence. RIGHT against my fence. This is the same neighbor kid eho never says thank you for all the 1 1/2 year old bucks I seem to be raising for him ambush on his side of the fence.

They rent. I met them when they were on my property two years ago tracking a 140 class buck they had wounded. I gave up my plans and tracked with them all morning. We never found him, despite them saying often he was, "hit hard". They are not the poster children for the modern ethical sportsman.

I digress. Back to this morning. I decided that I did not want to get blasted by the neighbor kid shooting over the fence. I had heard another gobbler northwest of there, hopefully still on my place. Away from the fence. As I was closing in to get set up, I heard a boom. I came over the rise to find another of my neighbors chasing a flopping bird on his side of the fence.

I gave up in disgust and headed back toward the house to get a coffee and regroup. As I was jumping the spring swollen creek on the way back to the house, my BPS slipped off my shoulder and went in. I was in the creek up to the shrivel point feeling around for my BPS until I found it. I spent the rest of the morning doing a gunsmith level disassembly and clean.

Everyone knows owning your own private hunting ground is the bomb, right? The truth is you end up like a dog with two bones. You spend far too much time QDMAing bucks for the neighbors kid to shoot and avoiding getting shot yourself.

Maybe tomorrow.
Have you ever sat down with these reprobates and had "the talk"? I know it can be challenging because many people who accuse themselves of being "men" cant handle any form of criticism whatsoever due to their horrible underlying insecurities and sense of self entitlement BUT every once in a blue moon, that talk seems to lead to smiles, handshakes and understanding. If you've done all of this, please accept my apology - no accusation here, This just takes me back to a similar situation i had with the "bad guys on the block" and after our sit down, things never went south again and they actually turned into good neighbors. Of course I went WAAAAYYY outta my way to be as kind as humanly possible even though i didnt care for their character - in my case it worked (maybe i just got lucky and they thought that i knew about a dead body burried on their land, who knows?)

Have you ever sat down with these reprobates and had "the talk"? I know it can be challenging because many people who accuse themselves of being "men" cant handle any form of criticism whatsoever due to their horrible underlying insecurities and sense of self entitlement BUT every once in a blue moon, that talk seems to lead to smiles, handshakes and understanding. If you've done all of this, please accept my apology - no accusation here, This just takes me back to a similar situation i had with the "bad guys on the block" and after our sit down, things never went south again and they actually turned into good neighbors. Of course I went WAAAAYYY outta my way to be as kind as humanly possible even though i didnt care for their character - in my case it worked (maybe i just got lucky and they thought that i knew about a dead body burried on their land, who knows?)
I'm smiling at how your post applies to me as well, sometimes. Touché. I resemble that remark. I have no excuse. I have spoken directly with them a couple of times. They have held on through an owner change and are always, "moving out any day" when the new owner from Alaska moves in. I have not met the new owners yet, they may be better or they may be worse. I get that.

The irony of where this thread is going is that it was just supposed to be a silly story about my opening day. I don't dislike the renters next door, they were just a factor in what turned out to be a bit of an adventure. I was not upset by the way my day went. Just a story about a weird day.

I have mirrors to look at as well around here lol :). I feel like the more I say stuff like that, the more I am prone to remember it and know when I am beginning to behave that way. FWIW I had to fish out a rifle from the bottom of a bog in Nunavik on a Caribou hunt that at one point I was sure was gone forever...I blamed the rifle and sling - clearly all my fault. Good on ya that you dont dislike em even though they don't share your neighborly instincts. The older i get the more i realize (baby steps) that tolerance can far outweigh many others virtues. Good luck on getting a Tom!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back