Northern fishing

Very nice! Thought a 40" would be 16+#'s... (Ya, I have a *fisherman scale and tape measure. haha!)
I love fishing for pike! They're a blast!
Chopped up squaw-fish, running fish type soft-bait, or flashy type reddevils?
I need to pull my boat project from the shed. Too many to do's!

Grats on your pike! Catch and release? Some great eating!

Broke out of lock down to do a little fishing, slow days, but you expect that when you target big northerns. This ole dino came in at 40.5" and 13.5#

Catch and releaseView attachment 138355
Great catch and even better of you to release. Getting me pumped for my turkey/pike trip in a couple of weeks.
I'll be fishing the big lake. ...fly only. One day the 20 pounder will strike.

Very nice! Thought a 40" would be 16+#'s... (Ya, I have a *fisherman scale and tape measure. haha!)
I love fishing for pike! They're a blast!
Chopped up squaw-fish, running fish type soft-bait, or flashy type reddevils?
I need to pull my boat project from the shed. Too many to do's!

Grats on your pike! Catch and release? Some great eating!
For whatever reason this one was just on the lighter side, group caught one probably a pound heavier that was three inches shorter. Just the way she goes I guess.

We just throw out the biggest frozen shad/herring / bait we can find in a store and let it sit on the bottom until they come around. Slow and relaxed fishing.

And released mainly because I have too much salmon in the freezer already!

Oahe? Nice job!
Yessir!

Great catch and even better of you to release. Getting me pumped for my turkey/pike trip in a couple of weeks.
I'll be fishing the big lake. ...fly only. One day the 20 pounder will strike.
That would be intense! You better let us know when it does strike!

Awesome!! I keep the smaller ones for food and let the big ones go.
Its funny, I see pictures or watch videos and people talk about releasing them. My gut instinct always is to go "no! Why!" Because the lake I've been fishing my whole life had an illegal introduction of pike so nothing goes back in the lake on our boat. And don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that on any of these other lakes. I get you should be releasing them. Just for my experiences on my little lake it's always kill them all, so the brain's first reaction is "wait what do they just do"

Its funny, I see pictures or watch videos and people talk about releasing them. My gut instinct always is to go "no! Why!" Because the lake I've been fishing my whole life had an illegal introduction of pike so nothing goes back in the lake on our boat. And don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that on any of these other lakes. I get you should be releasing them. Just for my experiences on my little lake it's always kill them all, so the brain's first reaction is "wait what do they just do"
I used to be that way in Alaska, but now they're just another native fish in this part of the world. I do have those thoughts every time about the Asian carp around here tho...

I love catching big pike. We fish them in northern Ontario every year. We use big crankbaits or inline bucktails mostly. A 40"+ pike striking a lure is pure violence! And if it happens to be next to the boat, it will scare the crap out of you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back