North to Alaska

Anschutz

Uncle Sam has notified me that Fairbanks will be my next duty assignment and I couldn't be more pumped. I've already been scouring the regs but have more to do. Hopefully the wife and I will be able to get a caribou and/or moose down this year.

Congrats on your new assignment and make the most of it. I would also be looking at getting a Dall while I was up there, you will never find a less expensive sheep hunt .
This. If you qualify for resident sheep tags, you need to do it. You’ll kick yourself in the rear end for the rest of your life if you don’t.

Congrats! My wife and I will be taking our first trip to Alaska in late summer. Hopefully the first of many more.

Congrats! My wife and I will be taking our first trip to Alaska in late summer. Hopefully the first of many more.
We've had 8 trips so far and bought a small cabin. 4 trips in less than a year! Trip number 9 coming in August, if not one sooner. Like they told Mikey, "Try it, you'll like it!"

We were stationed at Ft. wainwright in 1959. I was three. It was actually Ladd Air Force Base when we arrived. If you didn’t have to stop you could have missed Fairbanks by then.
there is still decent fishing to be had from the road system. You need to get out to Bristol bay for really good fishing before it slips away.
I guy can still hook 29 fish in 30 casts out there. Doesn’t happen every day but it will happen. Add it to your bucket list.

And get those pipeline royalty checks as a resident :p My dad got stationed in Fairbanks when he got home from Viet Nam.....talk about weather shock lol
Those help. And yeah it's 84 degrees warmer in Virginia than it is in Fairbanks right now. And it's not near 84 here.

It's a dry cold! 🥶 Really, it just depends. We were in Fairbanks for Christmas in 2018. It pretty much stayed between 10 and 20 below during our stay. Didn't FEEL that cold compared to Illinois cold. Step outside and cough once from cold air sucked into your lungs and then off you go. You also have to head North of town and have lunch at the Chatanika Roadhouse! Ron is a great guy and the chili is awesome! The lodge will take you over an hour to look at all of the things hanging inside, including a Tommy gun.

If your stationed at Fort Wainwright, check out their outdoor rec services where you can rent a jet boat, ATV, Snowmachine, etc.
We're looking in to buying a side by side up there. Understand it won't have as much trail open to it as an ATV but still more than my Jeep.

My son was stationed at Fort Richardson and did a few jumps at Ft.Wainwright Before deploying to Iraq in 06.

It's a dry cold! 🥶 Really, it just depends. We were in Fairbanks for Christmas in 2018. It pretty much stayed between 10 and 20 below during our stay. Didn't FEEL that cold compared to Illinois cold.

In fact, you can get used to it) I can compare with the weather in Norway 4 years ago. I went on vacation and the fjords were a must-have program - nordicsaga.com/scandinavia-tours There was a strong wind and cold, but I wrapped a scarf around my mouth and nose to get used to the temperature. Acclimatization comes on the third day to everyone. Even those who left sunny Florida.

We're looking in to buying a side by side up there. Understand it won't have as much trail open to it as an ATV but still more than my Jeep.
You may be pleasantly surprised, if don't care about scratching it. 🤔

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back