Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

North Idaho Whitetail Rut

bpeay4

Just moved to Moscow for college and have some family with 8A whitetail tags for this year and we are starting to plan the hunt. I have been scouting the area and there seems to be plenty of deer and lots of rubs from previous years. My question is when does the peak of the rut usually happen in this region? Going to be about a 10 day hunt so I am thinking maybe NOV. 5-15. For those of you with experience in the area; what dates would you plan your hunt???

-Thanks

Full moon Nov. 8, 2022. I'd start a 10 day hunt Nov. 12 - 15. I've hunted 6, 8, 8A and 18 quite a bit. Have permission on a place in 11A were I've hunted more because of bigger buck potential and the extra doe tag. Been hunting on and off up there since '86. Drew an xtra doe tag the last 15 years straight in 11A. Shot quite a few. They eliminated all the extra doe tags in the Clearwater this year. They reduced them a couple a years ago then a big die off last year. Should have never cut the extra tags. This general area is incredible productive. Lots of poaching and the Native American harvest and still the herd never seems to be over harvested. Reports are that the disease kill last year was significant in many areas so I do understand the cut this year and see how good the hunting is this fall.

Last edited:
Just moved to Moscow for college and have some family with 8A whitetail tags for this year and we are starting to plan the hunt. I have been scouting the area and there seems to be plenty of deer and lots of rubs from previous years. My question is when does the peak of the rut usually happen in this region? Going to be about a 10 day hunt so I am thinking maybe NOV. 5-15. For those of you with experience in the area; what dates would you plan your hunt???

-Thanks
Welcome to the Palouse.

Remember you need a free permit to hunt either UofI UIEF lands or Bennett Lumber lands. Stimson Lumber and PotlatchDeltic are open to licensed hunters for walk in hunts.

Go to their respective websites for instructions on how to get them.

Welcome to the Palouse.

Remember you need a free permit to hunt either UofI UIEF lands or Bennett Lumber lands. Stimson Lumber and PotlatchDeltic are open to licensed hunters for walk in hunts.

Go to their respective websites for instructions on how to get them.
Thanks! I was not aware that hunters were allowed to hunt the university land. That's great information I will look into it.

I used to like mid to late November, but I've seen some fantastic bucks harvested early in the season. Its more about right place right time, Good luck!

I would second these dates. All of my largest whitetail bucks from NW Montana have been harvested in this window. Good luck!
me too. Biggest bucks I have ever seen that I didnt get were also in these dates. Im lucky enough to watch whitetails out my window at home and there is a noticeable difference when that rut takes off. Its always after Nov 17 and Nov 20th seems to be date most years its full blown

Another big change this year is Potlatch Deltic is largely restricting atv use on their property now. They have a map on their website with what is open to atv’s but it’s massively less than in the past. Truthfully it could be a game changer for deer and elk security in this part of the world if they get good compliance, my guess is that will take a few years

Another big change this year is Potlatch Deltic is largely restricting atv use on their property now. They have a map on their website with what is open to atv’s but it’s massively less than in the past. Truthfully it could be a game changer for deer and elk security in this part of the world if they get good compliance, my guess is that will take a few years
It'll be very interesting to see what an impact this has. Hoping draw results come out soon! Can't wait to get my refund lol.

Consensus says Nov 15 -25 for a 10 day diy whitetail hunt in North Idaho. Also about 10% or so of the deer are mulies which takes a different tag. Check with your hunting regulation lawyer.

Also the pheasant hunting can be a good as anywhere in the lower Clearwater, however since a hard winter in January 2017 the weather has been too cold and wet during nesting the end of May with poor hatches since. Didn't hunt north last season, in Nov 2020 very few pheasants. Chased them a few days between deer hunts and jumped a couple but didn't pull the trigger. Quail and huns can be around but their numbers are low too. Chukars were numerous in one area and shot them. The steepest pheasant hunting anywhere, and very lightly hunted. Killed roosters in Doug fir - Ponderosa pines forest sometimes. Dry land wheat and big buck country. Like this pic., is in 11A which is nearly 100% private though. Pheasants are probably all on private ground, not impossible to get permission but probably going to get a lot on no's first. Because of so few bird hunters, easier to get permission for than to deer hunt.

Attachments

• 025B2A23-6876-4219-90E9-94F8256C440B.jpeg
    025B2A23-6876-4219-90E9-94F8256C440B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I’ve hunted a little north of you but have had good luck the first two weeks of November, even called in a muley buck to 5 yards with a bleat call. Came in behind me and both of us got a scare. White tails will be rutting the same time.

How bad is it? from what I hear, the EHD outbreak last year was devastating to deer populations in the Clearwater and parts of the Palouse. Personally I wasn't in the area prior to the outbreak but I do see decent amounts of deer while scouting; they aren't around every corner but they're out there. If what they say is true then this area must have been dang near over run with whitetails pre-EHD!!! lol

Sooo.... since the consensus seems to be that the area has been decimated, would I be wise to make a further drive up north sayyy toward Saint Maries for better deer numbers and hopefully better hunting or... is the hunting near the Palouse not actually that bad.

Did I make a bad decision by purchasing a second deer tag for $350? I kind of bought it impulsively because there was 20 left and I thought hey... I got almost 2 months of season, should be doable but now I am kind of second guessing my decision here. Between me and my Compadres I am semi-responsible for filling 5 deer tags now as I am the only one with ample amount of time to scout.

I couldn't be more pumped for the opener and am working on getting my priorities straight for the long season. ;)

1. Hunting
2. Work
3. School

Good Luck peoples!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back