North Idaho whitetail new hunter

Eventually

Hi all - new member here and a relatively new hunter as well. I've been hunting western Washington blacktail for 3 years now. I've killed a turkey and a bunch of grouse but I have yet to harvest a deer. I have had a lot of really great experiences though.

I decided to head over to the Sandpoint area of Idaho this upcoming week by myself. I went over there this summer on a family vacation and thought it seemed like an amazing area to hunt. I am used to glassing clearcuts sunrise and sunset here in WA, still hunting around the timber and watching bedding areas during the day. I am keeping my expectations low for myself but I am going to work hard and hope to learn a lot about the area.

As far as a strategy goes - I am thinking about finding some walk in only timber land, finding a decent cut to glass and hoping for a little movement. Also thinking about getting into the many miles of public access around the area and working a similar plan around drainage and/or creek bottom areas. I am not looking for anyone's honeyholes by any means. I just have never hunted whitetail or Idaho before and don't know the intricacies and differences between the two species habits and habitats.

I am a little nervous about doing this new experience by myself, but I love hunting and won't be getting too crazy. I got a room rented in town for 4 nights so i will not be doing any backcountry camping this time. Does my plan sound like it will drum up a few deer sightings at least? Anything you can think of to improve my chances? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. Take good care.

Danny

Take a grunt call and rattling antlers. I like little finger ridges and saddles.

Strategy is sound. Don’t expect people, especially locals, to abide by motorized restrictions
Thanks yeah that's alright. I will be walking regardless.. I hunt some state land near my house where ATV's are "prohibited" but no one does anything to stop em

Hi all - new member here and a relatively new hunter as well. I've been hunting western Washington blacktail for 3 years now. I've killed a turkey and a bunch of grouse but I have yet to harvest a deer. I have had a lot of really great experiences though.

I decided to head over to the Sandpoint area of Idaho this upcoming week by myself. I went over there this summer on a family vacation and thought it seemed like an amazing area to hunt. I am used to glassing clearcuts sunrise and sunset here in WA, still hunting around the timber and watching bedding areas during the day. I am keeping my expectations low for myself but I am going to work hard and hope to learn a lot about the area.

As far as a strategy goes - I am thinking about finding some walk in only timber land, finding a decent cut to glass and hoping for a little movement. Also thinking about getting into the many miles of public access around the area and working a similar plan around drainage and/or creek bottom areas. I am not looking for anyone's honeyholes by any means. I just have never hunted whitetail or Idaho before and don't know the intricacies and differences between the two species habits and habitats.

I am a little nervous about doing this new experience by myself, but I love hunting and won't be getting too crazy. I got a room rented in town for 4 nights so i will not be doing any backcountry camping this time. Does my plan sound like it will drum up a few deer sightings at least? Anything you can think of to improve my chances? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. Take good care.

Danny
Welcome Dan sorry I didn’t notice post before but I’m in Spirt lake and wouldn’t mind new hunting partners only been in area a few years but got deer no elk yet but that coming soon I hope give me a shout maybe we can scout out couple areas for this season

Welcome Dan sorry I didn’t notice post before but I’m in Spirt lake and wouldn’t mind new hunting partners only been in area a few years but got deer no elk yet but that coming soon I hope give me a shout maybe we can scout out couple areas for this season
Thanks! I had a great trip. Didn't kill a deer but did kill ny first here in Washington later in November. Saw a big beautiful buck in Idaho....but I just didn't feel comfortable with the terrain and my shot. He was on the other side 0f a straight up and down canyon 350yds away in the snow. Would have been very hard retrieval alone.

I am thinking about going over that way for turkey soon. You do any turkey hunting on the area?

Thanks! I had a great trip. Didn't kill a deer but did kill ny first here in Washington later in November. Saw a big beautiful buck in Idaho....but I just didn't feel comfortable with the terrain and my shot. He was on the other side 0f a straight up and down canyon 350yds away in the snow. Would have been very hard retrieval alone.

I am thinking about going over that way for turkey soon. You do any turkey hunting on the area?
Sure give me a shout turkey opens 15th I’m ready to get out let me know when your gonna be around

My experience in walk in only timber areas was 12 atvs and no return call from the timber company when we called to report the atvs.

Whitetail are predictable creatures regardless of state. I would definitely focus on the bottom land whether river or creek. If there is any ag field nearby that will be their priority. I have hunted whitetail my whole life in various places and personally, calling is not worth the effort. Find fresh sign, possible bedding, food and then sit and wait. If you are even in the general area of all 3 of those, you will see deer. Whitetails aren't the best to try and spot and stalk. Good luck.

Was your first deer a blacktail? Whichever species it was, congratulations on your first deer!

Back