Caribou Gear Tarp

North Face "The One Bag"

elk_newbie

Purchased North Face "The One Bag" yesterday from Scheels at $299. Never used it before but it looks like it may check several boxes for me both in terms of versatility and weight. Bag consists of 3 layers (synthetic, 800-fill down, synthetic) that are removeable. All together the bag rates from 5 degrees, with each layer separately providing a 20-40 degree option as well. The bag weights 3 lbs 12ozs in total and compresses fairly nicely.

So before I decide to keep this or return it is.....has anyone else used this bag? I'm going to be using it for CO Sept archery at 10k elevation (GMU 23/24) and then again end of Oct CO mule (GMU 77/78) around same elevation +/-

I don't want to buy several bags for different temperature profiles if I can avoid it nor am I interested in spending $700 on a bag. So I know already my options will be limited somewhat. I'm considering upgrading my sleeping bad as well to ensure something like this meets my needs.

So with that said, anyone used this and is it worth it considering when I'll be hunting and the temps I may experience?

Here is the link: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-sleeping-bags/the-one-bag-nf0a3g6e

My first question would be backpack hunting or car camping?

Couple of things bag ratings are for survival, not comfort so add 15ish degrees to the rating for comfortable to temp.
I don't see the point of a 40 degree bag... why bother.
Last year it got down to 9 degrees during my September hunt ~10k... but during my elk hunt in Oct it was like 35 at night at 9k. 🤷‍♂️ My bag is 15 degrees, I also bring a puffy jacket and pants.
For backpack hunting I think 15 degree is a good all around bag, warm enough that with lots of layers you can deal with zero. You can unzip it for warm hunts, and they they are fairly light. ~2lbs for a decent bag. Lots of good options in the $300 price range.

To me that bag seems like a versatile car camping bag or bag for someone who is only camping. It doesn't cut the mustard for me as a backpack hunting bag, it's just too heavy, in the 20 degree configuration which is what you mostly will use it's close to 3lbs, that's heavy for synthetic bags let alone down bags.

Personal opinions for bags vary.

I have a marmot that packs down close to 1/2 that size (9.7ltr) and a few ounces lighter. Its 0* rated at $300.

Edit added: In case you're interested found a link:

I'm not a fan of a multi bag with added two liner type inserts... however, I carry a "Reactor Extreme" bag liner more for day use packed in case I want to spike camp it and freeze less if on the elk vs return to camp. I've used the liner w/ my 20* bag in 0 degree freak weather and it sucked much less than w/o. :)

Best to ya.

I have a marmot that packs down close to 1/2 that size (9.7ltr) and a few ounces lighter. Its 0* rated at $300.

I'm not a fan of a multi bag with added two liner type inserts... however, I carry a "Reactor Extreme" bag liner more for day use packed in case I want to spike camp it and freeze less if on the elk vs return to camp. I've used the liner w/ my 20* bag in 0 degree freak weather and it sucked much less than w/o. :)

Best to ya.

Funny you posted this as I literally just spent an hour researching the Marmot Never Summer bags. I returned the NF to Scheels today and at this point am leaning towards the Marmot. Best bang for buck based on everything I care about (warmth, space, cost, etc.). Thanks for input!

I am looking at bags now, tough to make decisions on but I'm getting close....

I also have the Never Summer bag and really like it. Used this summer a couple times when it was around 50 degrees and just had it unzipped and used like a blanket and was comfortable. Car camping at 20 degrees I definitely like a few extra layers, puffy jacket, and even add a fleece blanket.

Watching this thread because I need to upgrade my sleeping bag but I will emphasize the benefit of a good sleeping pad. Lot of cold comes up from the ground.

Best to ya.

Kelty seems to have best DOWN deal. 0F. Same weight. But only $250
Its not in the Ultra Lightweight category, but still backpackable. If comparing specs to above bag they are very similar, while Kelty is at $50 less.

All those bags are good. Marmot has been known for decades for fine bags, and at that price that's likely the bag I would get. Western Mountaineering makes really nice products; their catalog is worth drooling over. Our local Mountain Shop loved Western Mountaineering so that's what we wound up with (buy local!) after our Trailwise (old days, The Complete Walker stuff) bags retired. They have a wonderful reputation. We have had them for 15 years and will pass them along, and we used them many weeks a year. They are, admittedly, pricey. We never worried about that though. We figured, weeklong vacation, middle range hotel in a resort area + meals is a couple grand easy. Pay for all the best gear you could possibly want in a week and a half. Then it's free ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelty seems to have best DOWN deal. 0F. Same weight. But only $250
Its not in the Ultra Lightweight category, but still backpackable. If comparing specs to above bag they are very similar, while Kelty is at $50 less.

I have never regretted buying my Kelty. I don't have enough experience with others to say it is the best at anything just that I don't feel the need to upgrade and the price was right.

No one has mentioned this so I will.

For my personal experience I would lean more to a 30-40deg down bag (backpacking) under almost any condition. It's light, packs much smaller than most and will serve every season as a purchase one and use for everything setup. How??? I am a big fan of always carrying a quality puffy (down) coat and pants during all seasons. This bag will suffice in teen temps given a "sleep system" that incorporates a down jacket and down pants. I have found after over 40 years of backpacking this is the most "versatile" system. Of course I have purchased a dozen or more bags over the years but if I were giving advice to someone looking for a one size for all this is what I would advise.

Some of the 20deg or below rated bags (synthetic or down) can be unbearable to sleep in during spring and summer temps (personal to everyone). A 30-40deg good down bag will do just fine. As temps drop throughout the year it gets supplemented with a sleep system. This can initially be more expensive for sure but can last a lifetime. Look at Montbell light down pants and jackets if this becomes an option. Best down pant/jackets Ive used for oz./warmth.

Good luck in your search.

This was just posted on HT. Don't know anything about these bags or the seller. Just FYI

Last edited by a moderator:
Back