Yeti GOBOX Collection

North Central Wyoming Antelope

mdunc8

I think I've used up my luck in the Montana draw, so I'm thinking about heading to Wyoming to hunt on a leftover tag this fall. Shoot me a PM if you're familiar with northern part of the state. I've been researching a specific unit, but would like some firsthand information if possible. Just so there is no confusion, I'm only interested in B&C bucks that specifically hang out in your secret honeyhole :D

Dunc I have a buddy in the general area he has me putting in for a unit that has leftovers I think. He took a 16 1/2 inch buck on an otc tag (resident). From my conversations with him, get your tag and go. Can't go wrong.

The unit looks good. There's plenty of public land and I believe the access is good, but there appears to be a ton of leftover tags every year. Just curious why.

The unit looks good. There's plenty of public land and I believe the access is good, but there appears to be a ton of leftover tags every year. Just curious why.

Don't question it Dunc the place is so filthy loaded my res buddy gets to shoot 2 bucks a year otc. Last year him and his wife (with kids in tow!) tagged three 3 1/2 year old bucks in an hour and a half! What are the success rates in the unit you are eyeing?

There is no such thing as an OTC tag for antelope for a Res or NR in Wyoming. Everything goes through the draw and then if a unit has tags left they go up for sale in July on a first come first serve basis. If there are a lot of leftover tags in a unit, it normally means that there is either little to no legally accessible public land in the unit or the goats are not on the public land much. That would mean you would almost need to pay an access fee to a rancher or go guided on a ranch that is leased by an outfitter.

Last edited:
That's why I'm confused on the unit I'm looking at. There's a decent amount of public (at least more than I'm used to around Bozeman) that seems to have decent access and success rates were 75% last year, but there were a ton of tags leftover. I think I'm missing something.

That's why I'm confused on the unit I'm looking at. There's a decent amount of public (at least more than I'm used to around Bozeman) that seems to have decent access and success rates were 75% last year, but there were a ton of tags leftover. I think I'm missing something.

Maybe there is no nearby Dairy Queen!!

mdunc8---Send me a PM and let me know what unit you're talking about. I have good computer software to see exactly what the land ownership is and also how accessible the public property is. In addition, I just bought the land ownership chip for my Garmin and can bring the area up to double check my software program. I already have my antelope unit set for where I always hunt when I can draw the tag, so your unit will be kept in confidence. PS: I hope you're not talking about unit 20, as that's one that has a lot of tags in the general area you're talking about and it's basically elk country.

There is no such thing as an OTC tag for antelope for a Res or NR in Wyoming. Everything goes through the draw and then if a unit has tags left they go up for sale in July on a first come first serve basis.

Sorry for the misinformation. My buddy said he "just goes and gets them" Which I interpreted as otc but I guess they are a guaranteed first choice.

Normally if anyone mentions getting an OTC tag in Wyoming they are talking about the lefotvers that are available after the draw and they go on sale on a first come first serve basis in July. That is probably what your friend meant when he said he just goes and gets them. You can you do that at a license agent or right on the F&G website in July and they cost $14 less than in the draw because the application fee is waived.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back