Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Nonresidnet NM elk

BDH

Hello All,

New to this forum, I am looking for advice on what is the best unit for a nonresident to draw the second bow hunt in NM. I grew up there and have hunted 16A a number of times along with 53 and 52 not sure if these are the best choices to put in for now that I am no longer a resident. I have lived in AK and now TN, if anyone has any questions on either of those two states let me know.

BDH

The NM draw system is very complex, but you can go into their website and it has an explanation and tips along with draw odds for all the hunts to determine what your approximate odds are for each unit. However, the way they have it set up you need to know the exact code for the unit for the hunt you want to put in for. I hope you are aware that 84% of the tags are allotted to residents, while 10% are allotted to those who go with an outfitter, and the remaining 6% are for NRs who apply on their own instead of through an outfitter. IMHO the only way as a NR that I would think about hunting NM would be with a guaranteed landowner tag that is not in the draws.

Last edited:
I aware of the way they have set it up. It seems like its going to be a long shot to get any of the 16s or any of the 50s. My dad still lives there so I have helped him put his application in every year. Any thoughts on any other units?

Go with what you know, those are good units in NM. I hunted 52 when I lived there and always found elk if I was willing to walk. Like Topgun stated, draw odds in NM are terrible, but you won't draw if you don't apply:)

I drew many tags as a NR before the big cut to them and the whole outfitter pool deal. I'm also a resident for 8 yrs now.
16's odds drop more every year it seems. Never have drawn one of those, besides E.
There are good elk in many other units.
Knowing how the draw works helps a bunch. Getting most of your $ back helps too.

NM is so cheap to apply in, you may as well give it a shot. I drew an awesome tag my first year applying. My dad drew the same awesome tag the first two years he applied. The unit had <5% odds. If I apply the next 20 years and don't draw, the memories I have of those hunts will still have been more than worth it, and I didn't even kill an elk.

I would say if you're familiar with 53 then that's a better one for you to apply for.
Not many NR applying for that unit compared to others.

I know you're familiar with how it works, but whenever I leave active and go back to drawing as a NR, I'll be shooting for the moon and then following up with my "better chances."

Something like 16D 2nd, 52 2nd, 53 2nd would be a good application for you!

I read that active duty is half off, but I have gotten the run around when buying OTC bear. Is that if you are just stationed in NM or for everyone?

I read that active duty is half off, but I have gotten the run around when buying OTC bear. Is that if you are just stationed in NM or for everyone?

It's for any active duty member who is domicile in NM (on orders) or any active duty NM resident. (per LES)
Or it's for any veteran who holds a NM resident status.
I changed my residency to New Mexico as soon as I moved there. So now that they PCS'd me to Florida, I still hold a NM residency.

You can go in outfitter pool & hunt semi-guided,& usually the arrangement is ,that if you don't draw they can get a LO tag as back up. I know many that do this and camp & pretty much hunt alone.
Remember NM randomly draws an applicant then goes thru 1st,2nd then third choice of that applicant before going to next.
Personally I have drawn 2nd choice the most, & NR too.
I usually go with 1st choice-low odds prime,2nd good odds good off radar unit ,3rd great odds ,off radar unit.
I have drawn several excellent tags and was the only NR to get a tag too.

Last edited:
Hank,

Your choices for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices and your explanation is one the best plans for a New Mexico elk draw.

Doesn't always work, but maximizes your chances.

LOL, other than CA,NM has been my only real lucky state for draws. I used to get some good OTC's in OR & MT.
BF seems to have some good juju here too.
Best laid plans some times yield an egg,golden if your lucky BD,lol

Most successful NM drawers I know usually put 2nd as the hunt they want, that have best mid odds and they sometimes draw it. Res & NR.
Res, folks 2nd is 50/50.Or 3rd is a 80-100%.
They don't do the 16's straight method,lol. Even the wardens I know usually draw 2nd choice too.

Last edited:
I was just reading the odds on NM site and what I read was 8% to non residents and 2% to outfitters

Hello All,

New to this forum, I am looking for advice on what is the best unit for a nonresident to draw the second bow hunt in NM. I grew up there and have hunted 16A a number of times along with 53 and 52 not sure if these are the best choices to put in for now that I am no longer a resident. I have lived in AK and now TN, if anyone has any questions on either of those two states let me know.

BDH

Are you sure there is a second bow hunt for 53? I thought it was one season there. Used to be at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back