NM: Unit 6A muzzleloader

ssmoore

Hello all,

Just found the forum, super impressed!

I was lucky enough to draw a New Mexico unit 6A muzzleloader tag (October 8-12). I am a non-resident (from AZ) so I do not know anything about the area except what the maps are telling me. Has anyone ever hunted that unit? Not looking for honey holes of course but any intel or advice on how to hunt elk there or general places to start would be very much appreciated!

I've never used a muzzleloader to hunt elk with before but I got ahold of a Winchester Apex. Any of you seasoned muzzleloaders have any advice? I'm excited! Good luck to all other tag holders!

I'm leaving on Tuesday for my Archery hunt running from 9/15-9/24. First ever DIY Elk hunt so looking very forward too it. Going in pretty blind so if I have any suggestion I will come back and let you know. Good Luck.

Good luck Baier! Sounds good: I have a few potential areas picked out, if you want I will shoot them your way, just PM me.

San Pedro Parks would be a good place to start.

I've hunted it twice and had a blast both times.
The Parks are good and it borders the Jurrasic Park of elk, the Valles Caldera, so go from there....lol.
Tons of good FS land in between.

Thank you all! I'll keep you posted how it goes! Taking the muzzle out to the range again tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back