NM Unit 37 Mule Deer - Muzzleloader

Chase

Drew a Unit 37 muzzleloader tag for 10/24 - 10/28. While not the most coveted tag, this one is significant to me. My grandfather, dad, uncles, and more hunted the unit regularly before I was born, always on West Mountain from the same campsite. While I plan to be a little more flexible about covering the unit, I'm looking forward to the nostalgia of hunting where a lot of my family that's now gone spent so many seasons.

While e-scouting I'm naturally drawn to the Capitan Wilderness with the idea that more rugged, hike in areas will hold pockets of unpressured deer. My plan A was to focus on north side of this area and glass as much as possible into the burn area from 2019. The few people I've talked to from back home (Lovington NM before I moved to OK) have said deer are largely pushed down out of the higher elevations and mostly located in the lower, flatter portions of the unit on private land. Anybody have any input as to deer population in the Wilderness area or if I need to look lower? Looks like monsoon rains have been decent so far, so is it reasonable to think the burn is regenerated enough to attract deer?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm open to all ideas.

Drew a Unit 37 muzzleloader tag for 10/24 - 10/28. While not the most coveted tag, this one is significant to me. My grandfather, dad, uncles, and more hunted the unit regularly before I was born, always on West Mountain from the same campsite. While I plan to be a little more flexible about covering the unit, I'm looking forward to the nostalgia of hunting where a lot of my family that's now gone spent so many seasons.

While e-scouting I'm naturally drawn to the Capitan Wilderness with the idea that more rugged, hike in areas will hold pockets of unpressured deer. My plan A was to focus on north side of this area and glass as much as possible into the burn area from 2019. The few people I've talked to from back home (Lovington NM before I moved to OK) have said deer are largely pushed down out of the higher elevations and mostly located in the lower, flatter portions of the unit on private land. Anybody have any input as to deer population in the Wilderness area or if I need to look lower? Looks like monsoon rains have been decent so far, so is it reasonable to think the burn is regenerated enough to attract deer?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm open to all ideas.
How'd the hunt go? Wouldn't mind talking to ya a bit about a specific area in that unit. Pulled a rifle tag this year and getting things narrowed down some.

You took my tag!! I have hunted this unit several times. big bucks, but not many. I actually have the ML Bull Tag for this unit this year, so ill be there about a month before you. Not sure what area you are talking about but i have spent plenty of time in this unit and would be happy to help if i can.

You took my tag!! I have hunted this unit several times. big bucks, but not many. I actually have the ML Bull Tag for this unit this year, so ill be there about a month before you. Not sure what area you are talking about but i have spent plenty of time in this unit and would be happy to help if i can.
Msg sent. Thank you.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back