Caribou Gear Tarp

NM Unit 16 Roads

I have a question about roads in the Gila. I drew the archery deer tag and am heading out the first of January. My point of drawing this tag was to not only have a good time chasing deer with my bow but also scouting the area out for when I potentially draw an elk tag.
So here it goes; what kind of shape will roads be in? I suppose it is all based on which area I will be, but the 3 main roads I will be taking in and hopefully backpacking off of will be 159 south of Reserve, 15 north of Pinos Altos and Wall Lake Road north of Mimbres. I’m from Colorado where during this time of the year most roads in the backcountry are impassable with snow.
I am pumped up about this tag and being able to hunt in the Gila, which is a dream hunt I’m sure I share with many people, even if it’s not an elk tag.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Normally they'd have some ice & snow on them & be frozen ruts for the year,at least 159 would. But it is bone dry here north of the Gila.
Easy to see where someone is driving from the clouds of dust.
Last storm just dusted the south. 1st Xmas without some snow at my place & none on the 10k peaks 30 mi away.
Call the Mimbres & Reserve FS offices for up to date info.
Good luck on your hunt!

The only thing I'd add to this is watch the weather forecast. In case it does rain or snow, parts of those roads can get awfully slick with a bit of moisture. Usually the flat areas; the sloped areas go across the bedrock and are gravelly and afford traction.
I've driven many of those roads when dry in a Hyundai Accent, but have also been sideways in 4 a wheel drive when it gets wet.

Thanks for the info. It looked like a storm rolled through last week, but sounds like it didn’t amount to much.
A buddy and I are headed down the night before the opener and have 7 days to find a buck and learn some country.
I have found conflicting thoughts on deer density in this area, but it sounds like maybe the deer population has stabilized after a drop in the past 10 years. Is that close or have I been misinformed?

Chatted with the warden & wife Sat & talked deer in 16's.
He has a Coues hunt the same time across the hwy.
We shared some notes & tips.
PM me for some intel.

When I first started hunting 16B I never saw deer (in 2012). 2014 still no deer. In 2016, I saw some nice bucks in the same area. Dunno if that's indicative of anything or not.. Water is going to be scarce. See if you can find a tank or spring that has water.
Good luck!

Thanks Wapiti, I’m wondering if the fact that it has been so dry, and finding a tank with water in it will be scarce would be a good reason to focus on the reliable water sources like rivers running through the unit?

It has been dry lately. I wouldn't expect there to be much snow if any snow in 16 right now. There are springs and water sources in a lot of odd spots in the Gila so I wouldn't just focus of the main rivers. Just keep an eye on the weather but don't expect it to be too cold or any significant amount of snow compared to Colorado's high country at this time of year. There also aren't really high deer densities in the Gila but the rutting activity should make the older bucks more visible. Good luck.

Thanks Brian.
I think I have found a couple tanks I will be checking out.
It’s looking like a storm might roll through around Tuesday, hopefully it will get the deer moving.

Hi anyone have any action chasing bucks in 16 january archery? i just applied in NM with 16 as my 3rd choice. my idea was the same as the original poster. to have fun chasing deer but also to learn a little country for someday if i ever draw elk there. just curious to hear anyone’s overall impression of the january deer hunting in 16

Hi anyone have any action chasing bucks in 16 january archery? i just applied in NM with 16 as my 3rd choice. my idea was the same as the original poster. to have fun chasing deer but also to learn a little country for someday if i ever draw elk there. just curious to hear anyone’s overall impression of the january deer hunting in 16
Deer densities in this set of units is low as I’m sure this isn’t the only time you will hear that. The main roads, when I was there in January of ‘18, were in great shape. From the research I have done the weather is typically mild (cold in the am and pm, but midday will warm up into comfortable temps) with not much moisture to speak of.
Deer tended to be in pockets but with persistent glassing sessions you shouldn’t have issues finding them.
One thing I wish I would have done was spend more time in the roadless sections of the southern part of the 16’s. I feel like that is one piece of the puzzle I didn’t get a chance to fill in.

I found the for the late archery hunt in the 16s you better find does as low as possible and then you should be into bucks.....

Deer densities in this set of units is low as I’m sure this isn’t the only time you will hear that. The main roads, when I was there in January of ‘18, were in great shape. From the research I have done the weather is typically mild (cold in the am and pm, but midday will warm up into comfortable temps) with not much moisture to speak of.
Deer tended to be in pockets but with persistent glassing sessions you shouldn’t have issues finding them.
One thing I wish I would have done was spend more time in the roadless sections of the southern part of the 16’s. I feel like that is one piece of the puzzle I didn’t get a chance to fill in.
thanks! so were you hunting in 16A? it looks like the only way to get to a trail into 16B Gila wilderness is hwy 15 from the south. do you think the wilderness in B has more deer than A? I’m inclined to just go with my gut and hike as far as i can from 15 in the wilderness and camp

That was my initial plan as well, but when we got there we decided to cruise the unit (mostly 16A) beings how the main objective was an elk scouting mission. There is trail access into 16B from trailheads all over the southern portion of 16A, onX can help you with that. If you are persistent you will find deer in any of that country.

That was my initial plan as well, but when we got there we decided to cruise the unit (mostly 16A) beings how the main objective was an elk scouting mission. There is trail access into 16B from trailheads all over the southern portion of 16A, onX can help you with that. If you are persistent you will find deer in any of that country.
thanks! if you’re hunting the missouri breaks or idaho 21 or 15 or 56 i have a few things to share.

Back