MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM Speedgoat 2019

Loon

So many changes this year, I am curious what everyone thinks of them. I'm attempting to remain cautiously optimistic. I don't believe its in most LOs interest to completely decimate their populations but then again I've met some ranchers that have a high level of distain for antelope and it certainly appears as though they now have the power to manage them any way they want. Then again it might be the start of cheap DIY antelope tags from LOs who just want to get rid of them.

I am going to watch it closely. I think it will take a few years to shake out. To your points/questions, my opinion is it will be ‘all of the above’ - Probably some cheap Trespass fees for some places, probably some really expensive trespass fees for others, and probably a lot of chaos on the heavily public land units as the animals adjust to what used to be the ‘safe zones’ (which, will seemingly be opposite of “normal” since public was off limits before).

And, given the remoteness of a lot of these places and the likelihood that they already have an outfitter marketing for them (or do it themselves), even sniffing out/getting a hold of ranchers to inquire will be challenging, so year 1 may not look at all like year 2,3,...

Personally I don’t like the new antelope Regs. There are a lot of big cattle ranches here in NM and they have a lot of antelope on them that now the LO can sell as many tags as he wants and I’m sure if the rancher is needing money the antelope will only be a way of getting money and not really to worried about maintaining a good herd. The antelope compete for the same grass the ranchers cattle eat and in NM cattle are king !! The only good thing as far as the antelope herd is NMG&F isn’t giving out many public land tags and they have split some units up. I’m all for hunting antelope just not for wiping them out.

Back