Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

NM GMU 52 First Rifle

Flyfishmtns

Howdy, Recently joined the forum and reading all the content!

I drew NM GMU 52 - First rifle, so I am heading to Northern New Mexico this fall!

I will confess, I am a newbie. Any general advice on the unit such as access, roads, etc.

I am devouring the net and watching the videos and threads for general advice. Excited about the hunt and being back "home".

Sadly, it has been years since I have been back because the military has decided to post me else where...actually started grade school in Chama, NM.

I am on OnX & have started the eScouting (thank you Randy!).

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your service! I have not hunted 52 and don't know anything about it. The nice thing about living here is that you can just jump into the truck and go check out an area. I think you are on the right track with your e-scouting. OnX has a private lands layer and other off limits areas. These days most of the National Forests have travel management plans. Some of the NF road maps can be had online, but for others you must show up at the district office to get one. You will need to register your offroad vehicle before you go on public lands with it. Check on NM F&G web for that. Obviously you will need to plan your camp. Last year I froze....I had an extreme weather back-pack tent which helped, but I was still miserable. Go to the range and practice sitting, prone (pack or bipod) and standing. There is a lot of content here. Do searches of your questions and keep tabs on what people post.

Gila...did not know about the vehicle registration - thank you!

Will do...heading to Fort Sill, Oklahoma for my next duty station where me and their gun range have a few dates with destiny!

"Pack lite, freeze and night!"

I like to practice.....some bases used to have a geat gun club and quite a few fellow hunters. Have fun planning your hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back