NM deer/elk recommendations

I am hoping to have a conversation with someone who might provide me some insight on units to apply for '23, it will be my first time applying for NM. My work has put me through Albuquerque a few times en route to either White Sands or Socorro, but have never had the chance to get out see the rest of the state. I'm not looking for trophies or trophy areas, just a conversation on reasonable areas I should be look at for either bow or rifle seasons - I'm as interested in the scenery as I am in chasing critters.

If anyone out there is willing to impart a little knowledge, I'd appreciate a PM just as much as a public discussion.

Thanks in advance
-N

Welcome on
Thank you sir - I've been looking at the state lands maps and unit breakdown for SW (Gila NF) and N Central areas from Albuquerque up to Cimarron. I'm still in the initial process of looking at units(listed below), tags available based on '22 numbers, etc. I would be grateful if you see something/somewhere I'm missing or could help me cross off any of the below based on your experience.

Gila NF area: 15, 16A, 16B, 16C, Northern part of 23
N Central: 4, 5B, 6A, 6B, 6C, 49, 51A, 52, 53, 55A

The other part I'm trying to wrap my head around is figuring out how to prioritize for application, if it's based on species or location - I need to re-read the regs and drawing again.

Take a quick look a this year's deer and elk rule changes. Some tag allocations (total tags issued) will change in 2023. For example mule deer tags for any of the 16 units look to drop in numbers. I cannot remember how many off the top of my head but these rule changes should be posted on the Game and Fish site under the meetings and proposals tab.

Take a quick look a this year's deer and elk rule changes. Some tag allocations (total tags issued) will change in 2023. For example mule deer tags for any of the 16 units look to drop in numbers. I cannot remember how many off the top of my head but these rule changes should be posted on the Game and Fish site under the meetings and proposals tab.
Much appreciated @mrcowboy - I downloaded the '22 numbers and couldn't figure out what the repeat units were on the listing, does that represent the different subsections (A, B, C)? I'll look around for the '23 allocations, thank you for the tip (y)

Thank you sir - I've been looking at the state lands maps and unit breakdown for SW (Gila NF) and N Central areas from Albuquerque up to Cimarron. I'm still in the initial process of looking at units(listed below), tags available based on '22 numbers, etc. I would be grateful if you see something/somewhere I'm missing or could help me cross off any of the below based on your experience.

Gila NF area: 15, 16A, 16B, 16C, Northern part of 23
N Central: 4, 5B, 6A, 6B, 6C, 49, 51A, 52, 53, 55A

The other part I'm trying to wrap my head around is figuring out how to prioritize for application, if it's based on species or location - I need to re-read the regs and drawing again.
I’m not sure if gohunt has a trial membership available or not, but it would definitely help you. There are lots of online resources available for trying to figure things out. In general, people aren’t going to tell u where to apply and not apply. It’s fun figuring that out on ur own anyway.

I dont normally do this but I'm feeling generous today. There's a hidden gem unit that's no trouble to draw and decent elk. Unit 6B. Good luck but don't tell too many people.
@np307 rumor has it that might could be where unicorns live, winning lottery tickets are sold, and the peaks have escalators built into the ridgelines 😉

I’m not sure if gohunt has a trial membership available or not, but it would definitely help you. There are lots of online resources available for trying to figure things out. In general, people aren’t going to tell u where to apply and not apply. It’s fun figuring that out on ur own anyway.
Thanks for the input @nontyp - Understood, I was planning on picking up a membership to gohunt or similar when I get back to the states. I'll add that I'm not looking for anyone to tell me where to apply specifically, just a regional orientation and a hair of guidance vs what I see when looking at topos w/ unit overlays.

The draw odds will tell you everything you need to know about NM. Good luck. I drew a great tag my first year applying there. I’ve put in for mediocre tags for multiple species the last 8 years and have struck out across the board.

The draw odds will tell you everything you need to know about NM. Good luck. I drew a great tag my first year applying there. I’ve put in for mediocre tags for multiple species the last 8 years and have struck out across the board.
joedirt.jpg

That's rough a pill to swallow, but NM is still on my list to try for even if it's futile.

Unit 50 isn't on the list?!?!?! You're really missing out...

Welcome aboard. As others have said, look at the draw results and that should pretty closely reflect quality. Haven't hunted any of the units on your list so can't help you there.

Unit 50 isn't on the list?!?!?! You're really missing out...

Welcome aboard. As others have said, look at the draw results and that should pretty closely reflect quality. Haven't hunted any of the units on your list so can't help you there.
The kind welcome is much appreciated, I only listed the generic terrain I'm used to looking for during map recons. I've never hunted flats outside of some private land in NE CO.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back