Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NM Coues Hunting

Valley1320

Anyone here hunted coues deer in NM? If so pics or is it a perty tuff job to hunt Coues in NM? Just curious never hunted them but definitely want to sometime.

I hunted unit 25 last September and only saw mule deer. I've heard there may be some coues in unit 27 on the Arizona border. 27 considered a quality unit in the draw so it may just be easier to go to Arizona and do the OTC thing. I will be putting in to chase mulies on the border again, I had a blast and despite the challenges its some of my favorite type of terrain.

I hunted unit 25 last September and only saw mule deer. I've heard there may be some coues in unit 27 on the Arizona border. 27 considered a quality unit in the draw so it may just be easier to go to Arizona and do the OTC thing. I will be putting in to chase mulies on the border again, I had a blast and despite the challenges its some of my favorite type of terrain.
Cool Ive never even hunted close to any of that country

I hunted 24 last November. I saw quite a few mule deer. Only a single doe coues. I'll give it another try in a different unit.

I have hunted NM23 a number of times as a nonresident. In the past permits were for either species. I have killed several mule deer and several coues deer in the unit. Hunt pressure was high every time I hunted the unit in both the muzzleloader and rifle seasons. If you are a NM resident, it might be worth a try.

I have during the late bow season. It wouldnt be my first choice in a coues hunt.

Unit 23 has areas that are decent for coues deer, where you should be able to glass 10-20 deer a day. Other portions of unit 23 are lacking in coues deer. Another option would be unit 27. It has some good coues habitat, but has developed some significant access issues over the past few years. Comparing the two, I think that I might opt for 23 over 27 for a NM coues hunt.

I hunted unit 24 for Coues a few years back and had success. There should be a post here on that hunt.

The Burro Mountains would be a good place to apply as a resident.

I’ve never hunted them but I might would try AZ. Seems like you can get the tags every year even as a non resident and I believe when I looked into it AZ had the best population also. I’d listen to Jay Scott Outdoors podcast if I wanted info on Coues deer hunting.

I’ve never hunted them but I might would try AZ. Seems like you can get the tags every year even as a non resident and I believe when I looked into it AZ had the best population also. I’d listen to Jay Scott Outdoors podcast if I wanted info on Coues deer hunting.
AZ has OTC archery tags in December and January. You can get a rifle tag for a 1 or 2 points in a couple of units.

I killed NM coues in 2017 and 2018. Unless you are a NM resident, I think AZ should be your first choice for coues.
NM coues units are no secret but it won’t be an easy hunt. Largest concentrations will be in 23, 24 and 27.
View attachment 127566View attachment 127567
VERY well done!! Congrats! I have a pard that killed on in NM many years back and I may try to convince him to take another run at them again.

Back