PEAX Equipment

CouesKelly

Is anyone familiar with coues densities in unit 23 outside of the Burro Mtn Area? I have been doing some e-scouting in the hell-hole wilderness area close to the Arizona border and the Mule creek area up at the north end of the unit. The terrain looks good for Coues there but haven't put boots on the ground there yet to verify. Anyone with some experience in the area that could give some insight as to if this is Coues country rather than Mule deer?

Which hunt do you have? I grabbed a Jan archery tag in the same unit. It'll be my first time going after coues and also my first time hunting with a bow. I was also looking at the hell hole wilderness area but what struck me was that there's only a few water sources around the edge and none in the heart of the wilderness. I would love to backpack into the wilderness but without the water I'm starting to lean towards packing in one night at most and trying to stay more mobile with my truck.

Which hunt do you have? I grabbed a Jan archery tag in the same unit. It'll be my first time going after coues and also my first time hunting with a bow. I was also looking at the hell hole wilderness area but what struck me was that there's only a few water sources around the edge and none in the heart of the wilderness. I would love to backpack into the wilderness but without the water I'm starting to lean towards packing in one night at most and trying to stay more mobile with my truck.
I have the January coues archery hunt as well. I am going with a truck Basecamp also for the same reasons. I'll shoot you a pm with some escouting info I have so far.

Drew a tag in 23 for MD Muzzy. Looking for current info on the area around Alma. Been a loooong time since i have been there.

I was out there first 6 days of September this year and didn’t see any coues. 51.7 miles in anyone have any helpful info? I worked the brushy mountain area I just saw a doe and a yearling a few times

I am not familiar with the area around Alma and have only hunted late season so not really sure what deer patterns are in the early season. If you saw does I'm guessing the bucks are somewhere fairly near by.

I am not familiar with the area around Alma and have only hunted late season so not really sure what deer patterns are in the early season. If you saw does I'm guessing the bucks are somewhere fairly near by.
I’ll be going up this weekend for my last shot as I have no more PTO lol going to work the lower San Francisco wilderness study area

Going to revive an old thread, and I’m gonna be that guy. I put in for my archery hunts as always. And, as usual, I came up mostly empty handed… with the exception of my fourth choice. I drew a Sept. coues deer tag in 23.

I’ll admit right up front I’m no coues hunter. I never even think coues when I think hunting and it didn’t even cross my mind that I would be given a coues tag. I was thinking I’d get a 21 or 23 Sept. muley tag.

Oh well, I’m going to do some e scouting and I’ll at least put in a couple of long weekends looking for water sources to sit and look for some bears.

If anyone is just feeling generous and wants to throw out a spot or two I’ll take it.

Thanks

Going to revive an old thread, and I’m gonna be that guy. I put in for my archery hunts as always. And, as usual, I came up mostly empty handed… with the exception of my fourth choice. I drew a Sept. coues deer tag in 23.

I’ll admit right up front I’m no coues hunter. I never even think coues when I think hunting and it didn’t even cross my mind that I would be given a coues tag. I was thinking I’d get a 21 or 23 Sept. muley tag.

Oh well, I’m going to do some e scouting and I’ll at least put in a couple of long weekends looking for water sources to sit and look for some bears.

If anyone is just feeling generous and wants to throw out a spot or two I’ll take it.

Thanks
Stick around for a little while and contribute to a few threads first to get your post count up. Then PM me and I would be willing to chat about some early season coues deer behavior/patterns with you.

Thanks
Did you draw inside the burros or outside?

I drew inside the burros this year, but I messed up my application by one number (hunt code 242 instead of 243) and drew Sept instead of Jan... basically means it's a wasted tag this year since I also drew Sept elk and Oct Ibex and have a feeling my wife won't be too happy with me trying to take all of Sept off and part of Oct ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back