Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NM/CO Population Study

nmelktrout

Give this wildlife population study for the Chama and San Juan River basins a read if you have some time to burn or are considering hunting in the region. In short, declining populations compounded by high harvest rates for both mule deer and elk. Interesting data in the full-length study if you have the time to read it. Also gives a very realistic sampling of the average antler size/antler growth rates by age for elk. I can only hope that this collaborative effort results in some sound management changes...and quickly. I won't go into politics or detail, but the study provides some eye-opening, but not surprising information.

http://chamapeak.org/programs/wildlife/wildlife-population-and-movement-summary-2014/

Cody

Thanks for that link. I have hunted the Chama area (unit 4) for the last 25 years, on the Quinlan, Garcia, and Gonzales Ranches. This year, I will be hunting Co units 78,81 for the first time (same outfitter). This report is certainly interesting, and has me realizing why the last 10 years have shown a decline in the amount of Elk and Deer sighted on the Ranches I have hunted, and a decline in the quality of the Bulls and Bucks that were taken or even observed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back