Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

NM 2022

hank4elk

I'm a glutton. For punishment. I keep drawing NM tags.
Drew my home unit for the 3rd time in 6 years for MZ deer and I'm sitting by the fire this morning after 2 half assed attempts to see any deer the 1st 2 days.
I have enough room in the freezer for a cow elk after getting a hog in there, maybe. And I drew my home unit for the cow tag too.
As much as I love mule deer hunting and the meat, I'm calling the deer season over.

I saw the 1st decent bucks in years in the spring but after the year I have had and not seeing a doe nor any fresh sign they get a pass.
Matter of fact I'm done mule deer hunting in NM or anywhere. Maybe coues as they are plentiful south of here.

Plenty of elk and antelope.
My place is a deer sanctuary now, if they ever appear again.

I was looking forward to deer hunting this weekend in 25 - not prime country, but different than I have hunted before. Travel intervened, and I needed this weekend to scout for elk a bit, and just get the rig ready to go. Just don't have the poop now for back-to-back-to-back adventures like I used to.

I have so many fond memories of deer hunting with my buddy in Oregon, I still find myself yearning for some more deer hunts. This was our first draw since we have lived here, I hope I don't have to wait seven more years.

So elk it is. Still hoping to deer hunt in NM.

David
NM

Went up to Zuni to the bank on Tuesday. Beautiful country.
Took the MZ out of the truck and the thermos in.
Leaving the Rez and back into my unit around noon the biggest buck I have seen in a couple years crosses the road in front of Rio & I.
5x5, maybe 34" +. BIG BUCK.
He walks into a clearing and off into the pinions . This is on the only strip of public lands near the Rez. and I have hunted it years ago.

Oh Well...I might have made a deal to trade my MZ & poke for a reloading setup for my -06 yesterday.

Trying not to cry when I think of it today...LOL.

Life....part of it is stories, and you now have another.

I am tempted to take my ML with me for elk tomorrow - some of the pinon/juniper country is tight enough that my scoped '06 is not prime. Pretty sure I am talking myself into it - I'd dearly love to get an elk with my ML.

David
NM

Life....part of it is stories, and you now have another.

I am tempted to take my ML with me for elk tomorrow - some of the pinon/juniper country is tight enough that my scoped '06 is not prime. Pretty sure I am talking myself into it - I'd dearly love to get an elk with my ML.

David
NM
I know and I can use it with a AW tag, But I love my 700 06 and it's win win for me.
I've had my mz in NM hunts. I done good overall. 60%

Hank, only drawn one nm elk tag but people I talked to just kept saying the hay days are over get ready for a chat show, heck it was the best hunt in years had a blast. Last season I drew a Arizona 12 muzzy deer hunt I looked so forward to that I couldn’t sleep at night, absolute worst hunt I’ve ever been on hands down but that’s how it goes. This season I drew Nm 2b late archery and you have me concerned, again I’m hoping for the best but this deer thing is just not going good for me and your not helping. Guess will find out soon,

Back