NM 2012 Off Range Oryx Success

Very cool, congrats to both of you. I really need to try hunting these before too long.

We've been incredibly lucky off-range. Our last 3 off range hunts were done opening day. That being said, we were also not being picky. My first off range hunt I could have been done the first day with a double broken, but held out for a bigger one. Ended up going to the last weekend. This year, my son was going to hold out for something respectable. Luckily, we found that quickly.

That was a great hunt and one the kid will never forget. Oryx are super cool. I watched them nearly every day when I lived in Alamogordo. I was fortunate enough to shoot three when I lived there. One once-in-a-lifetime hunt and two were depredation hunts. They have the best meat of anything in this country as far as I am concerned.

The permits were cheap back then and no range fees. It is a lot more financially difficult now-especially for nonresidents.

Great job!

Congrats, great looking animal! I saw more gemsbuck in New Mexico than I did in South Africa.

Back