Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

NM 16A (Gila) - Last Call

AceJiggy19

Non-resident, headed down from Denver, to 16A in a couple days to hunt bulls. I've been doing all the research that I can remotely, but doing a last call for any tips that y'all have, or if anyone's been in there in the last few weeks hunting, any updates. Excited, this is likely a once-in-a-lifetime tag being a non-resident, so wanting to turn over every rock I can.

Also - one guy I talked to mentioned that you could look up the location of the wolves in the area - anyone know what website shows that information? He said that the elk steer far from the wolves, and to check the site while you're there and steer clear of the wolves.

I'll check the thread a couple more times before we leave, and then update when I get back. Thanks in advance!

What I’ve heard is it sounds like at the moment bulls are still bugling but could change in a couple days. Good luck.

I drew a 16a tag this year and I am looking for any help or if anyone else in here that may have drawn the second rifle tag for October would like to team up truing to do research now but any help would be appreciated

Super dry there right now. Had the 1st archery tag the last 2 years. If u have the rifle please get off the road to many road hunters. Fiance had the rifle last year and we passed up several bulls cause I was after a particular bull. Herd of 100+ came by us and when the herd bull 350+ finally walked thru she couldnt see thru her scope no more. Next day had them again and 3 different road hunters could be heard in there trucks drivijg 30 minites before sunset and the herd held up in the tree line and we never saw them again after that. Passed up 3 more bulls after that. Its a great unit and is big. Watch for wolves also

awesome info! yes I am defiantly not a road hunter by any means! Thank you for the info! Are wolfs able to be harvested with an additional tag there or is that a draw? or are they just to be watched for? I probably can research that but if you know off hand.

awesome info! yes I am defiantly not a road hunter by any means! Thank you for the info! Are wolfs able to be harvested with an additional tag there or is that a draw? or are they just to be watched for? I probably can research that but if you know off hand.
Congrats on the tag I'll be there beggining of September. No wolf hunting in New Mexico the sub species of wolves they have are Mexican wolves and are endangered.

Welcome to the forum, u suck btw.
Thank you! And I know I suck Lol! I appreciate any info anyone is willing to give. Mainly I am interested in what Kind of gear I will need or Any gear that you find pretty crucial at this time of year or that will help me in accomplishing this hunt I have never hunted new Mexico and I am trying to get a good feel for what t expect. Or like I said any gear or equipment that you cant go with out or wont leave on this hunt without. Thank you.

Congrats on the tag I'll be there beggining of September. No wolf hunting in New Mexico the sub species of wolves they have are Mexican wolves and are endangered.
OK good to know. Are the wolfs there know to be aggressive to humans? Or generally more on the cautious side? Is there need for some sort of pepper spray or any of that. With the knowledge I have of wolfs in the areas that I have hunted wolfs are generally very elusive. and don't want to bother with human activity.

We had the first rifle hunt and we had a light jackets or a long sleeve on in the morning and woukd take them off pretty quickly if it was a light jacket and in the evenings would pretty much just put one on walking out

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back