Nissan Titan Tire Chain Rear Wheel Restriction

High Desert

In looking for tire chains for my 2017 Nissan Titan Pro4X (off road), I noticed in the owners manual that chains on the REAR tires are restricted to Class S chains due to limited clearance. As previously noted in other threads, chains are completely forbidden on the front tires. From my online research, it appears that Class S chains are typically not suited to or recommended for off road use and that 5mm and 7mm chains would not qualify as Class S. The impression I am left with is that Class S are more the type of chain you would put on your Nissan Versa to get to the grocery store on a snowy day. Questions: 1. Do other full size trucks have this restriction? 2. Has anyone determined whether heavier duty chains (5-7mm) can be used on a new model Titan or determined if there is a decent off road Class S chain? 3. If the answers to 1 is "no" and to 2 is that off road chains can't be used, why would a truck manufacturer design a 4WD off road truck to have limited rear wheel chain clearance?
Thanks

I have a 2020 Nissan titan pro 4x with stock tires and picked up some WBS04 5.5 mm square straight link alloy chains from tirechain.com. They come a little long some you need to trim the length and remove one cross bar - but with the spider tensioner they are really tight and there appears to be plenty of clearance. I've only test fit them and gone back and forth in the drive way, but they stayed tight and looked like they would be fine. YMMV but as you noted the S class ones are definitely not for off road use - I figured the right chains that are tight but close on clearance are better than either no chains or chains that will break and wrap around the wheel.

I put 1 inch spacers on all four wheels of my Ford Ranger and it works well with chains now. Main issue was clearance at the front, but that seems to be a problem on most mid size trucks these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back