Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Camera

LaSportsman

I've had a D600 since 2012 or so and just haven't shot regularly the last few years so I haven't had the upgrade bug. I just looked at the Z5 and Z6 and I'm blown away with the features. Biggest drawback by far of D600 is limited focus points. I was way better off with my D300 in that regard but wanted FX.

Anyone shooting one of the Z cameras? Looking to upgrade in 2021. Would buy the F-mount adapter and using F lenses at least at first.

I'm landscape, nature, and wildlife primarily with family portraits and street photography occassionally.

One concern is the stated specs say Temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C). Have shot below freezing many times and 104 is a cool day in Yuma.

Nikon, Sony, and Canon have all produced (by many accounts) some absolutely phenomenal cameras recently. I got a Sony a7iii a while ago, upgrading from a Canon 7d and I'm super happy with it.

I don't have the Z6, but now seems like a good time to upgrade if you have an itch for it - mirrorless have been out long enough that most of the kinks have been worked out, they have some great features (eye AF on my Sony is one of my favorite things ever), and they have enough lenses to make the cameras worthwhile.

For reference, your D600 also has a recommended operating temperature of 0-40 deg C.

My experience with adapted lenses (though not Nikon and using 3rd party adapter) is that focus is generally fine, but can sometimes be slow for things that need a quick reaction. Most reports that I've seen imply that using all first-party equipment greatly reduces any issues with adapting. I'd be interested to see how the Nikon adapters work though - don't many of the lenses have the focus motor in the body instead of the lens? So the adapter would need to also have the focus mechanism. I'm not sure how hard it is to fit that in something the size of an adapter.

I have the three big 2.8 lenses: 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200. I've considered selling the 14-24 for a while but I have a lot of money in the 24-70 and 70-200 VRII that would make buying the F converter worth it. It will be nice to get VR in body for the 24-70 and I also have the 105mm/2.8f original micro which will now get VR capability. I put my money in glass rather than camera upgrades over the years.

Any future lenses would be Z mount.

Thanks on range of D600. I put the D300 through far worse conditions but I know I've shot below freezing with D600.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back