Newbie from North Georgia

awbowhunter

New member here. I am 48 years old, married and the kids are grown. I live and grew up in north Georgia. Foothills of the Blue Ridge mountians...errr....(hills) if you will. I have seen real mountains now....lol. I consider myself an avid outdoorsman, enjoying everything from hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking, mountain biking....well you get the point. New found hobby is photography, I really enjoy taking wildlife and landscape shots. I wanna be outside seeing all of God's creation. I have taken many whitetail deer, and hogs. Hunt turkey and an occasional Dove. My first love is deer hunting and I primarily use a bow now. Currently a Mathews Reezen 65 or an Obsession M6.

I have always dreamed of western hunting, antelope, mule deer, and ELK! Over the last several years I have made two trips west, neither to hunt, but site seeing. I have been through what I call my dream states, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Spent two weeks last year in Yellowstone, and Grand Teton, where I got many amazing pictures. I will share later....Picture a Day thread maybe:).

Currently I am working on building points for various hunts in multiple states. I have been glued to all things Randy and cannot begin to thank him for the wealth of information and confidence to go at this alone. Thank You!:D

I now have one preference point each in Colorado for antelope, mule deer, and elk. One preference point for elk in Wyoming....antelope and mule deer to follow. I have applied this year for the Big game combo in Montana and I bought the preference point too......extra insurance...lol, should be a shoe in...right? I have onXmaps and have been pouring over data, and maps. focusing on Montana right now. For now my plans are to focus on Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. I may look more into Idaho as well in the future, but my fingers are crossed I'll be in Montana for two weeks this September to hunt archery hunt elk, with the bonus of a mule deer tag in my pocket. My expectations are to see a few animals, that will be a good start, if I can find elk I will be very happy. The memory is in the process of the hunt and that I will enjoy and remember with or without an animal riding home with me. :D

I have found great value in this forum and hope I can contribute to the group in the future. Happy Hunting! Allen

Welcome from the frozen tundra! Sounds like we are coming at this from similar places with similar approaches.

Welcome! Hey VikingsGuy...it's 74 degrees in SE Colorado and I'm on my patio in shorts and a tank top enjoying a cigar with my morning coffee :hump:

Thanks guys!! I am limited on western public land contributions to the forum right now, But I will contribute in any other ways I can, hope to learn a lot along the way. Appreciate all the great information and resources from this forum.

Back