NEWB Rifle Hunter Help

SPDSpappy

Last October was the first time I harvested an animal with rifle and I had a hard time transitioning from being behind binos and then finding the animal in my scope behind the rifle. Does anyone have any pointers? I zoomed my scope (VX5-HD) all the way out to try to find them, but I guess I just don't have good "game eyes" for finding the critter sometimes at distance (400-600 yards) when they're blending in. Thanks!

Couple strategies that might help. First is find a good landmark when using your binos, then when transitioning to rifle start at that landmark and adjust as needed to get on the game. Second is to concentrate on looking at the animal with just your eyes after the bino's come down, and keep your eyes there. Bring your rifle up, without taking your eyes off the spot, try to "see through" anything that blocks your vision, and get the scope settled in.

You can practice both while not hunting as well. The more you practice it, the more it'll become second nature.

Last October was the first time I harvested an animal with rifle and I had a hard time transitioning from being behind binos and then finding the animal in my scope behind the rifle. Does anyone have any pointers? I zoomed my scope (VX5-HD) all the way out to try to find them, but I guess I just don't have good "game eyes" for finding the critter sometimes at distance (400-600 yards) when they're
Last October was the first time I harvested an animal with rifle and I had a hard time transitioning from being behind binos and then finding the animal in my scope behind the rifle. Does anyone have any pointers? I zoomed my scope (VX5-HD) all the way out to try to find them, but I guess I just don't have good "game eyes" for finding the critter sometimes at distance (400-600 yards) when they're blending in. Thanks!
As you mount your rifle to your cheek make sure you are keeping both eyes open-never close your peripheral eye when shooting any type of firearm-closing your peripheral eye will always make u a less effective marksman and its in my opinion somewhat dangerous
( if u close your peripheral eye you will be less aware of what’s going on just to the left or right of your rifle). If keeping both eyes open as you raise your rifle, acquire your target and squeeze your trigger still does not work for you it is likely that you’re (as an example) left eye dominate but right handed. The solution to this problem would be to start shooting left handed. Also it is possible that your large scope has to be mounted too high for the length of your cheek. I prefer a 40 mm objective lens on a scope that is mounted as low as possible to the rifle and Im 6’2” with a long cheek. Also practice locking your eyes onto a target and raising your rifle to find it. You can practice this easily and often. I instantly find my targets in my crosshairs upon raising my rifle-this should come as natural quickly as pointing your finger at the target. If it is not you’re probably right-handed left eye dominate or your rifle and scope combination doesn’t fit you.
Drew

As you mount your rifle to your cheek make sure you are keeping both eyes open-never close your peripheral eye when shooting any type of firearm-closing your peripheral eye will always make u a less effective marksman and its in my opinion somewhat dangerous
( if u close your peripheral eye you will be less aware of what’s going on just to the left or right of your rifle). If keeping both eyes open as you raise your rifle, acquire your target and squeeze your trigger still does not work for you it is likely that you’re (as an example) left eye dominate but right handed. The solution to this problem would be to start shooting left handed. Also it is possible that your large scope has to be mounted too high for the length of your cheek. I prefer a 40 mm objective lens on a scope that is mounted as low as possible to the rifle and Im 6’2” with a long cheek. Also practice locking your eyes onto a target and raising your rifle to find it. You can practice this easily and often. I instantly find my targets in my crosshairs upon raising my rifle-this should come as natural quickly as pointing your finger at the target. If it is not you’re probably right-handed left eye dominate or your rifle and scope combination doesn’t fit you.
Drew
I have an Accustock and I've adjusted the comb height for what I need. I've also verified I'm right-eye dominant. I have been trying to do this with only one eye open, so I'll try with both open to see if it helps.

Couple strategies that might help. First is find a good landmark when using your binos, then when transitioning to rifle start at that landmark and adjust as needed to get on the game. Second is to concentrate on looking at the animal with just your eyes after the bino's come down, and keep your eyes there. Bring your rifle up, without taking your eyes off the spot, try to "see through" anything that blocks your vision, and get the scope settled in.

You can practice both while not hunting as well. The more you practice it, the more it'll become second nature.
Thanks! Most of the time I was going from standing w/ the binos to a sitting position behind the rifle mounted on a tripod w/ a triclawps. This means there's really no bringing the rifle up, it's moving it over basically. I think the landmark piece can definitely help in situations where there's a good one to use (one oak brush looks much like another ;) ).

I don't mean to be snarky, and I'm sure I spend a lot less time at the range than many folks here, but for your second animal with a rifle I feel like 400-600 yards is quite a poke...
I'm almost 100% accurate @ 600 yards on a 6" target at the range using my tripod/triclawps setup from a seated position after taking multiple classes from military special operators/snipers. The antelope I shot last year was 450 and the muley was 375. I understand your concern though!

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back