New ultralight rifle

I was talking about the .30 cal. I'm not sure how you can say it was wasted energy without knowing what bullets I am shooting and what twist rate would optimize them.
You a bragging about shooting a bunch of bullets a 1 in 11 should stabilize? Ok so?

I loaded the 190 burgers in my 1 in 11 300 win mag and got them to stabilize. Although probably with less than optimal b.c.
The 178 absolute hammers wouldn't.
Anyway I wanted my new gun to be 1 in 10 to stabilize the longer bullets I wanted to shoot.
175 LRX, 180 TSX, TTSX & Accubond, 190 LR Accubond, 200 Accubond I won't shoot any lead core bullet except Accubond or Interbond and those 2 sort of as a last resort - If you like the taste and effects of lead then by all means be my guest, I don't ..... all listed shot VERY well albeit the 190 LR AB are a little "soft" - The Europeans know more than you think they do about shooting

- The Europeans know more than you think they do about shooting
FYI if you are shooting a bullet with a slower than optimal twist it may not key hole it may just wobble enough to affect its ballistic coefficient.

It also may lead to more vertical spread and erratic performance on game. Especially those big copper pills.

I'm not aware of any down sides to using the optimal twist rate.

FYI if you are shooting a bullet with a slower than optimal twist it may not key hole it may just wobble enough to affect its ballistic coefficient.

It also may lead to more vertical spread and erratic performance on game. Especially those big copper pills.

I'm not aware of any down sides to using the optimal twist rate.
Biggest reason I stopped looking at production rifles. Incorrect twist rate

Biggest reason I stopped looking at production rifles. Incorrect twist rate
Are they?
Or are they only for the bullet you choose?

I will admit that i've found myself limited sometimes in the projectile weight department. But i just choose another weight that will work.

Are they?
Or are they only for the bullet you choose?

I will admit that i've found myself limited sometimes in the projectile weight department. But i just choose another weight that will work.
I think 1 in 11 feels outdated. But it will send standard weight .30 cal bullets like a champ.
I do like that browning is putting out faster twist in its long range rifles
The hells canyon x bolt long range has a 300 win mag with a 1 in 8 twist.

I know when I started shooting my Kimber Mountain Ascent, I definitely had to polish my skills in order to get that rifle to shoot well. It is capable of sub-MOA, I was able to get myself equal to the task, but it took some work.

For my money, I won't go lighter than about 6.7lbs for a bare rifle.
I've found that if I shoot my rimfire squirrel rifle (same action-type and scope as my Kimber 84) while the Kimber barrel cools down I'm a MUCH better shot with the Kimber.
Three or four good shots with the .22 concentrating on the fundamentals seems to help.

@pilsner good! This is something I need to get better at - fundamental shooting with a .22
My old bolt action 22 ways more then my Double Broomed Brooks Ovis Hunter but taking the time to breath etc is something i need to do more of. I just wish it had a scope but it is so old there are no mounts and I don't want to get it drilled and tapped.

Speaking of out of balance, my daughter's boyfriend showed me his Ruger Scout .308 rifle when I was over at Christmas. Talk about a contradiction! First, I have never been a disciple of the whole Jeff Cooper scout concept. Maybe it might have some value for soldiers fighting rag heads house to house in Kandahar, but for hunting game it preaches bad methods. Shooting in a hurry, especially at moving targets, is never advisable for the average hunter (hog hunting might be the exception). I'm also no fan of lightweight rifles because they don't point well. A whippy gun designed for shooting at moving targets doesn't make a lot of sense to me. So, his scout rifle would be be a tough sell before I even had it in my hands. First thing that caught my eye was the laminate stock and super short barrel. What the ...? A stubby barrel to reduce weight + an overly heavy stock that adds excessive weight doesn't make much sense. And it added a LOT of weight. That rifle weighs more than my nine pound Springfield with its 24" barrel. So unbalanced I nearly dropped it when he handed it to me. "This must not be a lot of fun at the range?" Yes, muzzle jump is severe. He plans to take care of that by adding a brake. I gasped audibly! "Better get a diving helmet. You'll need it to protect against the muzzle blast out of that dinky barrel." This gun is the best candidate I've seen for a suppressor but I don't think they're legal up here. The skinny scope mounted ahead of the ejection port was sure not my cup of tea either. Shooting with two eyes might work for targets at very close range but a good quality 3x9x40 variable scope conventionally mounted and turned down to lowest magnification will do the job just fine too. I shot my gemsbuck running full tilt twice at fifteen and twelve yards with a 3x9x40. Both bullets took out its heart. His setup's very narrow field of view left me cold. I know nothing about Ruger Scout model so am not sure if the laminate stock is original or added by a previous owner who got tired of the gun jumping out of his hands wearing plastic. It's undoubtedly the most poorly balanced rifle I've ever held. Carrying it in hand while hunting can't be any fun, especially with a ten-shot magazine hanging down in the way. He asked me what I would suggest to fix this gun. "Trade it in for one that's grown up."
I've got the steyr scout with a fixed 2.5x leupold scout scope in qr leupold mounts. Works pretty good. Nicely balanced, not too heavy. Comfortable to shoot. Expensive though. The scout scope takes some getting used too though.

Older Sako A7 with the lighter stock. Short bolt lift and just over 7# with a 40mm Leupold on it. Both mine are way more accurate than me.

You'd gain quite a bit by going to 7mm.
As was previously stated, the shear number of different weight options, and that by every bullet manufacturer.

More availability of not just bullets and cases for handloading. Factory ammo will be more available also.
With the added benifit of being able to shoot standard 280 Rem ammo if you need to. (Headspacing is the same as with AI)

To keep the whole rifle under 7lb, your looking at bare rifle weight close to 5.5lb.
A lot of people tend to go the short route to get that light.
One of the reasons i liked my Forbes so much was he bucked that theory.
Forbes uses a 24" barrel, that i'm guessing is a 1.5 contour.
He saves his weight in the action and stock.

I'm not sure how much one of the Weatherby Mark V Titanium weighs.
Just throwing that out there.
Melvin Forbes made a great ultra lite. You can find them occasionally for sale .

My three lightweights:
1) Tikka, 6.5 CM, Vortex scope, approximately 7.2 lbs
2) SAKO 85 finnlight, 30-06, Leupold scope ,7.3 lbs (most accurate factory rifle I've owned)
3) Forbes 24, 270, Leupold scope 6.8 lbs
Interested in selling the Forbes ?

Sounds like his bullets are seated too deep and are jamming the lands.
Do you mean seated too far out? Or are you not as thunk as I drink I am?

I would be calling Christensen ASAP if factory SAAMI-length cartridges were jamming so far into the lands that the bullets are being pulled. Sounds like that chamber is TOO TIGHT.

My three lightweights:
1) Tikka, 6.5 CM, Vortex scope, approximately 7.2 lbs
2) SAKO 85 finnlight, 30-06, Leupold scope ,7.3 lbs (most accurate factory rifle I've owned)
3) Forbes 24, 270, Leupold scope 6.8 lbs
Would you sell your Forbes ??? Shoot me a price

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back