Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

new to spotting scopes

An 80mm objective simply gathers more light than a 60mm. Astronomer's use a thing called a 'Twilight Factor" to gauge effectiveness in dim light. (Sqrt of (Objective * Magnification)). Based on that and the 2 scopes you'll get about 15% better dim light performance from an 80mm compared to a 60mm. What that equates to in extra glassing time depends on your atmospherics but yes an 80mm is better than 60mm for low light glassing.

Last edited:
I can't resist....here are the best deals on big 3 80+mm spotter right now. If I had $2150 burning a hole in my pocket it would be between these 2.

http://www.samplelist.com/Swarovski-STS-80-Spotter-DEMO-B-P56660.aspx
with
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swarovski.pl?page=demo-swarovski20-60

or

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissdiascope85black

Also note that I got my Nikon ED50 for $539 shipped a couple months ago from Eagle Optics. Best deals are usually had when most are not thinking about gear.

Last edited:
so the 60 may be great for packing but for low light the 80 is better. I looked through two scopes last the vortex nomad 20-60x60 and leupold ventana 15-45x60 and to be honest i couldnt tell a difference between the two and i thought they both looked pretty good so the ventana in the 20-60x80 should be even better then, especially for lower light

Make sure you don't just look through them in the store, ask if you can take them outside at dusk, most stores will allow that. Any glass can look good in a well lit store when your looking at a mount <100yrds away.

I have an inexpensive Vortex Skyline 20-60x80mm spotter, and I have been very happy with it. Being I only get to hunt out west 1-2 weeks a year, and there is little use for a spotting scope in MN, I think it was probably all the scope I need right now. If I was out west fulltime I would definately drop the cash on a Swaro/Leica/Zeiss.

I built this a few weeks ago for a buddy in the market for a High end spotter. In addition to the "Big 3" I added the Vortex razor HD and the Kowa spotters with pure Flourite Lenses. Prices are retail new.

Attachments

• Spotting scope chart v1.jpg
    Spotting scope chart v1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,627
Has anyone used a Swaro at 75 power? I would think that would only be useful twice a year when the conditions are absolutely perfect for 10 minutes. Most times the "heat waves" get so bad past 50 it is almost worthless. At least in my opinion.

My uncle has a Swaro(not sure which model) that I have looked through. Don't get me wrong, they are definitely in the top of the market. But I think the difference between them and you $500 - $700 dollar good quality range is not worth the money. IMHO. Of course it would be a major deal for me to come up with $3000 dollars. My uncle said he wouldn't buy another one, FWIW. And it has nothing to do with quality or wether they are the best. Just the price tag doesn't justify the viewing quality difference. They are definitely up there in their clarity though.

nmanchester

Do yourself a favor and get the best spotter regardless of the price. Put it on a card and pay it off over time if you must. It will be cheaper than buying a less expensive spotter and then upgrading and upgrading again. I speak from experience. I have a Swarovski STM 65 and it works well for me. Fits in the packback and sees very well. Shop around for a good price on a demo unit or good used one and you can get a good piece of glass for not that much more than an inferior unit at retail. I got lucky and had a 30% off coupon from a grand opening at Bass Pro when I was shopping for my third spotter.

Just a neophytes opinion here but last year after a few trips up and down the mountain I was lifting shirts to see which one was the lightest. Weight was certainly a factor for me.

I recently purchased a Nikon ED 50 and the performance is outstanding. I can resolve 1" letters at 1/4 mile well into the twilight time. I am not saying the thing defies physics or that it is as good as a quality 60mm scope but it is good and the weight and packability mean a lot to me. I got it for $529 from Hayneedle.com.

I decided to go with the Theron Saker and just recieved it yesterday and so far im quite impressed with it for what im going to use it for and i even took it out last night and looked at the moon on 15x and it looked great. Going to get it out tonight after work and play with it somemore. I took afew pics of the moon through it and was amazed of the quailty of pics i got for just holdning the camera there by hand and not having all the settings right.

Back