New (to me) Bow. Advice wanted...

Mossy-Back

I have acquired a 2013 Bear Legion compound for a good price. I’m hoping to set it up for hunting next year.
Besides new string and cables, what other “must do” things are there to make it a solid, quiet hunting bow. I know it’s not the fastest, being a single cam rated at 318 fps, but I’m going for quiet and reliable. I’ve never hunted with a compound and it’s been years since I really shot one.

Take it to your local bowyer and have them setup weight and draw for you. Jen see what lessons are. Start right without creating bad habits.

Luckily there are several good archery shops within 45 minutes or less of me. I’ll take it in and have them do the string and cables and tune it up. The two I talked to so far quoted me $125-140 for that work including parts.

I shot a long bow and then a 35# Bear youth model compound when I was a kid, then used my dad’s Bear Pronghorn Hunter compound for bow fishing as a teenager. I’ve rifle hunted since I was 12 (33 now).
For the past 6 months I’ve been practicing with a recurve that I’ll be hunting deer with this season.
1C295604-3098-4D6C-AE6C-9619FAC880D3.jpeg

Last edited:
125/140 seems pretty fair for installed string and cable set w/ tune. I’d have them double check the draw length and peep location too while they are at it - just to make sure it’s in the right position for you... next upgrade - imo best bang for your buck would probably be new rest - though u don’t mention what’s installed now so possible what’s on now is perfectly fine. You can talk that over with your proshop when u bring in the bow...

125/140 seems pretty fair for installed string and cable set w/ tune. I’d have them double check the draw length and peep location too while they are at it - just to make sure it’s in the right position for you... next upgrade - imo best bang for your buck would probably be new rest - though u don’t mention what’s installed now so possible what’s on now is perfectly fine. You can talk that over with your proshop when u bring in the bow...

The shop I decided to go with installs the peep loosely and then has you come in and try it out before tying it in. Draw length is easy to adjust on the module without a press.
Bow has a whisker biscuit right now. I know isn’t as clean of a launch as a dropaway, but it’s more secure in the thick brushy woods here in western Oregon. If it shoots well with it I’m gonna leave it on there.

Your shooting fairly heavy setup with your recurve right? A heavy setup on a compound will help absorb sound and vibration also.

The rest is fine. I shoot a captive drop away rest but I've shot biscuits before. They affect speed a little bit which will show up at distance in relationship to trajectory. I would shoot it the way it sits if it shoots well and then begin modularly upgrading things that can be moved to the different bow if it hooks you. The first thing I would upgrade after shooting it for a while would likely be the sight.

Your shooting fairly heavy setup with your recurve right? A heavy setup on a compound will help absorb sound and vibration also.

Yes, shooting Easton XX75 shafts and a 250 grain VPA two blade with my recurve. Shoots great out to 30 yards, holding my hunting shots to 20-25.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back