New to Iron Sights

How much time have you spent mastering open sights with a .22 or similar gun since your OP?

Your elevation issues could be anyone of a dozen things but when you moved the sight up, the POI went up. When you moved them back down, the POI went down. That's what is supposed to happen.

As for better groups, probably need to find some different powder and maybe different bullets. Could be a lot of things. That may not sound very helpful, but that is the truth. Personally, I would shoot groups of many fewer shots (2-3) and much more gradually increase the amount of powder not more than 5 grns at a time. Start at something like 70 or 75 grs and work up in 5 gr increments from there. I didn't notice what powder you were using, but I would use Swiss 1.5 fg. Might as well start with the best stuff.

ElkFever - I haven't spent any time plinking with the 22 but Ive come a long ways since my OP. With limited time I have been focusing on getting my muzzy dialed in. Brent - 10-4 on the elevation it just seems like with my sight I cant find that sweet spot where I want to exactly be. Im either too high or too low. I have been using BH 209. Maybe I should try a different powder. I have tried 80,90,100,110,120 with the Thors and it seemed 90 was the best.

Try 85 and 95 for sure. Take some care to settle the powder and seat the bullet with the same firm pressure every time. If you are not using a wad, you may wish to try one. Felts, card, fiber, cork, or low density polyethylene about 0.06" thick usually work well.

Understand that I only use real black (Swiss), so my experience is limited with your gear is limited, but I would not be happy with those groups at 100 yds using my flintlock and roundballs, much less my fast-twist percussion rifles.

Once you get your load figured out better, you can adjust sights with a file, or replace with better quality sights.

This is doable, and once you have it figured out you can refine further. When I started shooting MLs I felt good about shooting @ deer within 100 yds when my CVA Hawken .54 was putting round balls and Maxiballs into an 8" circle @ that range. Decades later I won't shoot past 125 yd @ elk w my inline, 777, Hornady FPBs and fiber optic ghost ring sights. @ that range I know I will always hit in that 8" circle. I only shoot when I'm sure to kill.

I often read that power belt bullets and TC rifles don't like each other: "At least when you’re first getting started, try shooting some muzzleloader bullets made by the same company that manufactured your muzzleloader. For instance, Thompson Center bullets tend to shoot very accurately out of a Thompson Center muzzleloader. The same goes for PowerBelt bullets and CVA muzzleloaders, etc."

Did you use the Thor sample pack to find the best fit for your barrel? I think Thor has @ least 3 different dimeters of .50 bullets to fit slight barrel differences.

How hard do you have to push to seat the bullet? It should have moderate resistance.

Most guys shooting 209 clean their bore much less often than you are, maybe every 15 shots or when loading resistance increases.

If you suspect the QLA is a problem, try bore-sizing. Remove breech plug from barrel, then use ramrod/jag to push new bullets down the bore from the breech instead of the muzzle. Push them all the way through the barrel. Bore-sized bullets will load much easier from the muzzle @ the range after bore sizing, and should load true through the QLA.

80-95 g or 209 sounds like a more accurate starting load than 120.

Have you considered mounting a scope on it for load development? It may seem like a step backward, but it eliminates some variables. Resting forearm and butt of gun on sandbags from the bench will increase consistency. You could go back to 50 yds until you select the bullet/powder load combo you like, then fine tune the powder load out to 100 yds or farther.

PM if I can help further. Disregard any of this that you already tried or is too elementary. As noted above, you first must find a consistent zero, even if it is @ 30 yds.

Elkduds thanks for the reply. PB's did not shoot well for me. I did use the Thor Sample pack and again Thor shoots the best. I also had a scope on it and shot the SST hornadys very well but that is a Sabot and from what I read most TC Omegas shoot Sabots a lot better than conicals. It is more consistent at 25 and 50. I did speak to Terry at Thor bullets and after talking a little bit I am going to try a different primer and different powder. He said other guys have had good luck with 777 and he said the Federal 209A primers are what he has the best luck with. Going to try that and go from there.

FWIW, I use 777 and the 209s in my CVA Optima. 90 gr is my accuracy load for 300 gr Hornady FPBs. I run a patch w windex (ammonia is a good 777 solvent) after each shot @ the range, 777 leaves fouling., It should not be hard to remount the scope, that would seem to be a shot saver while load developing. Sounds like your groups were smaller w the scope.

To hopefully help a future muzzy hunter/shooter out I thought I would post an update. A lot of veteran muzzy shooters already know this but with the testing I have done all summer I would argue that the TC Omega will not shoot full bore conical bullets with consistent accuracy. I came to this conclusion after switching to a different gun and after only 2 sessions I shot a 2" consistent group at 100 yards. CVA Accura V2 with the 300gr Thor. So even though I spent a lot of money and time the practice hopefully will help and now I have way more confidence with that 100+ yard shot. Im hoping to make that Elk target that was prev posted and see what I can do at some longer ranges. Thank you to everybody that contributed to this. Good luck if your hunting next month. Less than a month away for me so am really looking foward to it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back