New scope

Here is the thing guys I like to match my scopes with my guns.The 7-08 is a short action rifle that has enough energy to take deer sized game at about 500 yds.500 yards will be the max for this rifle the the retical is personal preference everyone like something different I prefer the fine duplex.the 2.5-8x36 matches a short action gun perfectly,nothing more than needed,no extra weight added to the rifle than I need.If I was planing on shooting anything further than that I would go with a 7mm mag or a 300 mag with a larger scope. and a heavier rifle.Hope this explains my choice a little better. By the way Wy556 how do you like the Huskama scope? I have heard good things about their product.How is the eye relif in them?

I'm pretty sure they'll put a CDS dial on anything above the Rifleman category of scope.

Did the scope not come with a blank MOA turret? I thought they did.
No it didnt come with the blank turret I think you get one if you buy the factory produced scope 3.5-10x40 and up.

174 I completey understand now about the gun being compact and light, makes perfect sense now. I also understand that magnification is different for each person. I think I fall under that category of belirving what I am told by marketing and as 1 pointer says different ways to skin the same cat. When I think of an 8x scope I think of a muzzleloader which has the leupold ultimate slam (Comes in 7x or 9x) for shooting 250-300 yards max for me and there is absolutely nothing that would prevent an 8x scope from working at 500+ yards especially with the right reticle. Just different strokes for different folks.

I bought a gun and took a class from gunwerks which had the huskemaw scope so I purchased another scope and put it on my 6.5 so they are the same to use and practice with. The scope seems fine to me but at that price it should be. The guy who founded Huskemaw, Aaron Davidson, sold out to Best of the West and John Porter recently. He now sells the nightforce scope on his guns and makes a different show I think it's called long range pursuit. I have not owned enough different scopes to really judge the optics in the huskemaw scope but I did manage to kill everything that I aimed at.

Interesting, I didn't realize the custom shop scopes didn't come with a MOA/blank turret.

wy- Looks like we agree more than we disagree. You must be smart! ;)

Smart might be a stretch for me. I'm originally from wyoming but have lived in oklahoma too long to say I'm still smart.

Sweet. I just bought the same scope in a 3.5-10 and will get the calibrated knob set up once the weather allows for some load development on the new gun that's on its way. Hope it works well for you.

I'm glad to see someone that puts a good scope one a good gun. Too many times I see a good gun with a crappy scope...drives me nuts. The gun will only shoot as accuratly as the sites and shooter and...

174, or any other HT'ers, Any favorite on-line stores to purchase a Leupold Scope? I will not purchase anything from Cabelas anymore after reading the way they handled the TAGS issue with another HT'er last season. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Just my opinion but you should have had the turret made after you got your rifle and worked up a load for that rifle or at least chronographed your ammo and got a close average. Your 7mm-08 might shoot a bullet that is going 2600 fps or maybe 2900fps. At 300 yards and beyond that is going to make a difference. I had some turrets made for my older Vari-X 3 in 6.5x20 for my 300 win mag. I used 6500 ft in elevation and 40 degrees at 3020 fps. Now I can still use it at 1000 feet above sea level but after many hours at the range I discovered I have to add 2 clicks at 400 yards or turn the turret to 450 yards to make it hit dead on at 400. Leupold will change your turrets to Target Style for 60.00 each and they will make you custom dials for another 60.00 each. I have been very happy with what they have done for me and will continue to use Leupold scopes.

174, or any other HT'ers, Any favorite on-line stores to purchase a Leupold Scope? I will not purchase anything from Cabelas anymore after reading the way they handled the TAGS issue with another HT'er last season. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Contact me via PM or email. I am sure I can beat any other on-line prices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back