Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Muzzle Loader for my son

StrutNut

I am looking for a new Muzzle Loader for my son. Not too big on TC's as I have had some problems with them in the past. Looking for something shorter/lighter as he is 11. Break open style - Iron sights as scopes are not allowed in MN.

Last edited:
One of my muzzleloaders...my open sights one I use in CO...is a CVA Optima and I love it. It's a great shooter and priced relatively well compared to others.

I can't imagine what went wrong with your TC's in the past, but I recently bought the Impact (their entry level ML) and it is fantastic. You can feel the quality is much higher than your average Traditions or Optima (though there are obviously those who swear by them). I picked mine up for $200 on sale. It has EXCELLENT fiber optic sights. Also comes with a scope base already attached if you wanted to hunt with it during the "regular" firearms season.

Emrah

I have owned 3 TC rifles. The first we still have. Treehawk 50 cal. My wifes gun. She wont part with it. I also bought a grey hawk. Shot roundballs great but everything else was iffy and really didnt like to go off. Got rid of it and bought a TC Bsalck Diamond. Could not get it to group for crap. Very inconsistent with every load/bullet configuration I tried. This was suppose to be out of the box on the money. On one hunt I shot at a doe and the dight broke off - clean off. Also the ram rod holder fell off. I sold it for a Winchester X-150 made by CVA. It is a tack driver and never had a misfire. I love this rifle but it is too heavy for my son. Looking at something break open style and lighter.

I know you said not too big on TC but I am totally pleased with my Triumph Bone Collector. Has the break open action and lightweight you are looking for, and nice TruGlo sights (I am using a scope on mine). Might give it a look - sweet shooting gun. Here's a 200 yard target after I got it dialed in (I can fill you in on load info if needed).
tc200.jpg

CVA Wolf

Cabela's had these little jewels on sale for $159.00. Plus $20 off if order was over $150. Comes without iron sights but that's easy to fix. 24 inch barrell and scope rings are included. I put the Konus scope kit on it and it's nuts on em and comfortable to carry in the woods. Plus it's a breeze to clean for storage after season is over. This gun should be a good fit for your son without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back