Caribou Gear

New Mexico Unit 9 Archery

Joshgs

Hello Folks,

Fortunate to draw a 4th choice Archery tag for Either Sex in New Mexico Unit 9, first Archery Sep 1-14th. Less than 90 days and can not wait to get out in Elk Country. Planning on 1 or 2 scouting trips and camp out near Mount Taylor. My instincts tell me that the area near Mount Taylor would be heavily pressured. I have e-scouted some watering holes in the northern part on the unit located on BLM. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time hunting this unit.

Thanks

I have muzzleloader hunted the unit 8 or 9 times (mostly late 1990's, early 2000's) and my observations were that the majority of hunting pressure was NOT on Mt. Taylor. Most people were hunting the flatter ground, or just the foothills. Of course there used to be a good many elk in those spots so it made sense to hunt there rather than the mountain, which has some rough spots. Last couple of times I hunted the unit the elk were harder to find in the "easier" terrain. I'm not making any specific suggestions on where to hunt, but just saying don't rule out the mountain because you think it will be more crowded there, it probably won't. (a good fraction of hunters are not willing to climb a mountain, just a fact)

Unfortunately unit 9 has gone downhill considerably, look at the harvest states. And your ability to draw it 4th choice is also an indicator. But I would rather be hunting there than staying home, it is just a tough hunt.

yeah, lots of lazy hunters here, probably no different elsewhere...
I met a couple guys in a truck looking for elk one November in a different unit. I told them where I'd seen elk, about a mile off the road, and they told me 'I'm not going that far for just an elk.' okay. as you wish...

yeah, lots of lazy hunters here, probably no different elsewhere...
I met a couple guys in a truck looking for elk one November in a different unit. I told them where I'd seen elk, about a mile off the road, and they told me 'I'm not going that far for just an elk.' okay. as you wish...

Those guy aren't hunters. They're shooters.

Appreciate the feedback, I accept the challenges of climbing in to high country and rough country if need be to find elk. That is probably one of the other things I enjoy about elk hunting, getting into mountains, away from other people. Thanks

There's definitely some good elk down low on the north side of the mountain. I'd definitely be flexible enough in my game plan to work the lower stuff if you're not having encounters up high. BLM has guzzlers set up in the P-J woodland and there's some nice bulls hitting them. I don't know what hunting pressure is like in that unit though because I'm only up there mid-summer.

If it's been a dry summer, I'd be tempted to stay lower and find a secluded water source (if that's possible) for that first hunt if they're not bugling. Definitely get in touch with the BLM Rio Puerco District Office in Albuquerque and ask if they have a map of those water sources. That'd be gold. Some of that area is wilderness study area, and I'm not sure exactly what that means, but they seem to be limiting access on the side roads with gates. Whether or not people respect those gates is another story of course.

Hey bud, Ill be hunting the same unit but for the 2nd archery season. Ive got a scouting trip scheduled for July and August. When are you going to head up that way?

Hey bud, Ill be hunting the same unit but for the 2nd archery season. Ive got a scouting trip scheduled for July and August. When are you going to head up that way?

No set dates in stone yet, but do plan on heading up that way in July and August.

There's definitely some good elk down low on the north side of the mountain. I'd definitely be flexible enough in my game plan to work the lower stuff if you're not having encounters up high. BLM has guzzlers set up in the P-J woodland and there's some nice bulls hitting them. I don't know what hunting pressure is like in that unit though because I'm only up there mid-summer.

If it's been a dry summer, I'd be tempted to stay lower and find a secluded water source (if that's possible) for that first hunt if they're not bugling. Definitely get in touch with the BLM Rio Puerco District Office in Albuquerque and ask if they have a map of those water sources. That'd be gold. Some of that area is wilderness study area, and I'm not sure exactly what that means, but they seem to be limiting access on the side roads with gates. Whether or not people respect those gates is another story of course.

I will be using OnXMaps, which has been helpful in the past. There have been areas I have encountered with gates, but when you look on the maps, it's BLM or Forest Service areas. I will take your advice in to consideration and look for some water sources. Thanks

We have drawn this season as well and will be hunting the later portion of it to try and get into the bugles. Drew a tag in 6A as well. Let me know how it's going. We will be camping out!

Back