New Mexico Unit 50 ?

buckchsr

Was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice for unit 50 New Mexico in early October? I drew this tag this year and planned on scouting and being more prepared but some family health issues put that on the back burner. At this point I really thought I wouldn't go at all, but it looks like I'm going to make it out there just in time to hunt. This is a rifle tag for early October. I've bowhunted elk in Colorado most of my life. I've never rifle hunted or hunted NM, so this will be a new experience! I'm definitely not asking for any honey holes, just any general advice would be greatly appreciated. Just hate going in blind. Thanks!

Hi buckchsr. I grew up in northeastern New Mexico and have hunted Unit 50 several times, though not in about 10 years. The unit is mostly a flat desert but it does have some elk habitat. I am familiar with the northern part of the unit, which has several volcanic mountains that rise out of the desert. My dad and I would hunt on Cerro de la Olla (aka Pot Mountain), which is directly west of the town of Questa. My dad killed several bulls but I only ever saw cows there. I don't know where you're coming from, but the best way to access Cerro de la Olla and the other mountains near it is from Highway 522 at the village of Arroyo Hondo (5-10 miles north of Taos). Arroyo Hondo is on the east side of the Rio Grande, and if you travel west from Arroyo Hondo, you will reach the John Dunn bridge that goes across the Rio Grande. Go west across the bridge, then up the switchbacks on the west side of the gorge. Once you are up on the plateau on the west side of the Rio Grande, stay on the gravel road that goes directly north. It eventually turns into a two track road and takes you on the east side of Cerro de la Olla. We would camp on the east side of the mountain, and get up on top before first light. The top of the mountain is basically a big meadow. The scattered junipers and pinons around the base of the mountain would be a good place to try as well. Cerro Montoso is just south of Cerro de la Olla, and it is similar. You can also get to the mountains from Highway 285 on the west side of the unit, but I'm not as familiar with that access point.

Wherever you hunt in unit 50, I think if you could find where the elk are going to water that would be the key. Although the Rio Grande is the boundary of the unit on the east side, it's down in a deep gorge with super steep walls. Google maps wasn't as good (or maybe it didn't exist) when I hunted the unit, but you might find a spring or stock tank that way. If you hunt Cerro de la Olla, there is a dirt stock tank on top just east of the peak, but it was always dry when we hunted. In checking google to confirm my recollection of access, it does look like there was water in it--at least when the google image was taken.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck on your hunt.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice for unit 50 New Mexico in early October? I drew this tag this year and planned on scouting and being more prepared but some family health issues put that on the back burner. At this point I really thought I wouldn't go at all, but it looks like I'm going to make it out there just in time to hunt. This is a rifle tag for early October. I've bowhunted elk in Colorado most of my life. I've never rifle hunted or hunted NM, so this will be a new experience! I'm definitely not asking for any honey holes, just any general advice would be greatly appreciated. Just hate going in blind. Thanks!
How did your hunt go? We got drawn for this unit early archery.

Back