Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico Unit 34 Elk Questions

Pretty uneventful opening morning. I didn't even carry my bow, just followed my son around the woods and spooked a few silent elk :(

When this guy grows up he's going to be a good one. One of the better 5 points I've seen. View attachment 192869
That probably is grown up for that unit. Big 5 point is a very common mature bull genetic there.

I hope you guys find a couple giants (there are a few there) but if you aren’t considering shooting bulls like this and the other one pictured above with that tag, you may run into tough times.

I am struggling to get any action. Where I am is just really thick and green, hard to see far. And now everything is silent. They scream all night, then shut up quick. Hoping for some good next couple days.

That probably is grown up for that unit. Big 5 point is a very common mature bull genetic there.

I hope you guys find a couple giants (there are a few there) but if you aren’t considering shooting bulls like this and the other one pictured above with that tag, you may run into tough times.
MY son would probably shoot a bull like that after the 1st week. I've killed too many bulls better. I don't care if I hunt all season for something big and go home empty. I have an AZ tag after this one :)

I am struggling to get any action. Where I am is just really thick and green, hard to see far. And now everything is silent. They scream all night, then shut up quick. Hoping for some good next couple days.
No bugling at night where we are. I'm sure the ones you're hearing at night will turn on during daylight very soon. Seems all the traffic everywhere since Tuesday has moved out a lot of the elk we were seeing. Things should change in the next few days.

A person only has so much wall space. Sure I would like to mount a 400+ but a cow will keep us in meat for a while. I am out there for the pleasure of the hunt. If everything comes together well that is all fine and good.

It is typical bull behavior down here for the first week in September. They will bugle some on the feed at night. Also they will open up a bit going to water at night. Once the bachelor herds start to separate, the larger mature bulls may be staying on the feed longer in the morning. They will move down the slope to gorge on the pinon and junipers before the rut starts. Some of those herd bulls won’t eat much for a week or so during the rut. As the days go by the bulls will be hitting the wallows more often As well.

Last edited:
Super quite morning, but the 5 points are now with cows. Things changed a bit. Now we just need the mature bulls come in to kick them out!

Son took a small 6x7 tonight. I still have not taken my bow out of the case. My turn!

ian elk.jpg

Well my NM 34 elk hunt lasted all of 30 mins. This was my first morning with my bow and he was down at 7:00. I actually passed on him at first because he was so narrow and short, but as he was walking off broadside at 40 yards his 7x7 and tine length would not let me let him walk. 343" and some change. He only had a 165" base frame or he would have been a a really good bull.

20210908_150829.jpg

20210908_151116.jpg

I’ve killed a few elk, and I’ll tell ya, I’d be tickled pink to kill that bull. Congrats to both you and your son. Really enjoyed reading this thread.

Congrats!!! You passed on that in unit 34?????😳😳😳

I stalked into a saddle right before he got there. He came in front first and was really narrow. I told myself there is no way I'm shooting that bull. I was dead set on 340+. Then he turned and walked by me at 40 yards and I saw he was a 7X but I was unsure if I really wanted to shoot him. As he was about to go over the saddle I came to my senses and stopped him with a cow call and shot him. I still was really unsure what he was. My son actually told me he thought 343", no lie that was his guess. I said 320ish. I was wrong.

Congratulation, cool bull. I think I saw this bull on 19 Aug just when he was rubbing off his velvet. He was with another bull that initially looked bigger, much wider, once we Looked at them through the 18s we realized he had those kickers. My buddy took a picture I will check with him tomorrow.

My cousin and I were lucky enough to both draw a New Mexico Unit 34 Archery Season 2 elk tag. We feel extremely fortunate for this opportunity and realize this is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Our previous hunts together have taken us to Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming all on General/OTC tags. My cousin who lives closer to New Mexico will be taking two scouting trips down before the season and we plan on spending a few days scouting before the second season starts. I have a few questions in regards to Unit 34.

-There appears to be a lot of roads in the unit. Is it worth packing in or just road camping?
-Are the roads all passable with a 4x4 pickup or does it make sense to bring a side by side?
-Does anyone know of a packing service in the area?
-What kind of pressure should we expect from both hunters and recreation?
-What is the best town to refill on supplies and get a good meal?
-From those who have been successful in the area what tactic has created your success- calling, glassing, spot and stalk, sitting watering holes?
-Name of a trusted meat locker to leave meat at while we hopefully try to fill a second tag?
-Any observations from those who have been on this hunt or to this area that they would like to share?

Thanks everyone,
Garrett
I know I’m late to the responses here.
I’ll also be in 34 - headed in on Tuesday.
ive spent a fair amount of time scouting and was there just a few days ago hearing bugling left and right.

First time hunt over here! Good luck to y’all!

Stephanie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back