New Mexico Unit 18

Westxhunter

I drew a tag for this unit this year (my first time ;-)) Anyone else hunt this unit before in New Mexico? I've been through some of the areas and it's going to be a tough hunt. No specifics needed, but anyone who's hunted here, what did you see out there?

No luck, I never was able to get out for a hunt. I scouted plenty and found some nice spots, but I didn't draw 18 this year. The Mountainair areas are promising. The key is finding water. I ended up staying away from the areas where BLM and private land intersected each other, lots of closed gates.

I drew unit 30 this year, lol. My goal is to try to draw for the hardest units. So far I'm two for two. I wanted 18 again. The bucks should grow exponentially with all the rain this year. Unit 30 is going to be just as tough, but I've already scouted some nice country. Right around the time for my hunt, I came off furlough and had to start working again. That screwed up my plans big time.

Hello, just wanted to jump on this thread to see if anyone has any good info on unit 18. I drew riffle tag this season. Thank you in advance.

Hello, just wanted to jump on this thread to see if anyone has any good info on unit 18. I drew riffle tag this season. Thank you in advance.
Do your research. Use google maps, OnX if you have it, or some other type of mapping software. Find some spots and go check 'em out. I got a few tips here and there, but you won't know diddly until you get your boots on the ground. Part of the fun is scouting and hoping the big buck you saw will be there a few months from now. I can tell you that 18 is tough and will not give up anything easily. I'm glad I drew it again this year because now I can put what I learned from my first failure to good use and hopefully find a big'n.

Do your research. Use google maps, OnX if you have it, or some other type of mapping software. Find some spots and go check 'em out. I got a few tips here and there, but you won't know diddly until you get your boots on the ground. Part of the fun is scouting and hoping the big buck you saw will be there a few months from now. I can tell you that 18 is tough and will not give up anything easily. I'm glad I drew it again this year because now I can put what I learned from my first failure to good use and hopefully find a big'n.
Thank you for the reply. I’m a non-resident coming from Florida. So I have to do ”virtual scouting” . I applied for 31 based on draw success and harvest log and then 18 cuz my outfitter mentioned it has a second option. I missed 31. And the more info I gather on 18, makes me wonder. cause I’ve noticed it’s not exactly the best. Thanks again, and any other tips youd be willing to share I’d greatly appreciate.

Outfitter? You didn't mention in your original post that you are going with an outfitter. His primary job is to get you on the game you're hunting.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back